What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro Hero2 Underwing Video

Jeff A

Well Known Member
I've been VERY happy with the GoPro Hero2 camera. I purchased it shortly before the first flight of the RV-8. I really like setting it up looking over my shoulder and plugging into the audio jack to record my flights. It's nice to show everybody what is going on during my flights and lets me review and critique my flying and especially my landings.

With the Wi-Fi backpack available, I decided to try an external mount below the wing and see what else could be done/seen. Here is what I came up with: http://youtu.be/rYZtt3BUNDo

Also, this is the first time I attempted to edit videos using Windows Movie Maker. As I have nothing to compare it to, I'm happy with the program and the results thus far.

Last edited:
I attached mine using the standard sticky clip in mount to the inspection panel and got similar results.

It's a nice perspective and I'm looking forward to upgrading to the GoPro 2 with the remote set up.

Mike

So the sticky mount copes OK? I have a suction cap and a bar mount - was thinking about using the centre strut. In the long-term, I was thinking of making a mount to fit around the step.

My initial intention is to fit it inside the cockpit to film the instruments during flight testing. I've taken one lot of video on an approach in my "day job" and have to say the results are fantastic. I used Adobe Premier Elements to edit which is a whole lot more sophisticated than Windows Movie Maker

I attached mine using the standard sticky clip in mount to the inspection panel and got similar results.

Wow, I wasn't sure if I wanted to trust the sticky back mount at almost 200mph. I bought the tripod attachment for $9.00 and used a 1/4-20 bolt to attach it. It works pretty well, but I don't like the wavy distortion in some parts of the video....I think the mount was flexing ever so slightly. More experimenting to come....

Re: sticky mount
I had great success with drilling and countersinking one of the sticky mounts for a #6 screw + tinnerman washer. This gives secure attachment/movable with no waviness.

GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac & Remote is Great!

I just got one of the GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac & Remote kits for my original GoPro Hero camera. It took a little while to set-up but once I got it working it's great. I tried it out last night during a flight with the camera mounted under the wing. The signal to the camera from the cockpit worked flawless. I could change modes with the remote between photo, timer, video or turn the camera on/off. There is feedback on the remote screen so you know that it's working. I was very impress with it. I think it's well worth the $100 so you're not burning through memory card storage and camera battery by filming the entire flight. Now when you are flying that last 2 hour leg into Oshkosh you can just turn on the camera and video the last 15 minutes.

The GoPro website indicates that the new GoPro 2 will have an App for the iPhone or iPad to view live video when using the Wi-Fi BacPac. That will be really cool. I may have to sell my extra Contour camera and buy a new GoPro 2.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the BacPac to work on my camera the first time. I found out the hard way that there are a couple key things you need to do first. You need to back-up the firmware in the camera and then also to the BacPac and Remote. I had a big issue updating the BacPac but there ended up being a simple fix after finding some hidden troubleshooting tips. You have to use an older USB 2.0 connection to computer (not 3.0) and turn off Windows User Access Control (type UAC at Windows start box). Once I used the correct type of USB port and did that it was simple. Hopefully that'll save you the hours I spent on it.

After the technical issues of getting it working, I'd give the GoPro BacPac & Remote kit a big thumbs up.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the BacPac to work on my camera the first time. I found out the hard way that there are a couple key things you need to do first. You need to back-up the firmware in the camera and then also to the BacPac and Remote. I had a big issue updating the BacPac but there ended up being a simple fix after finding some hidden troubleshooting tips. You have to use an older USB 2.0 connection to computer (not 3.0) and turn off Windows User Access Control (type UAC at Windows start box). Once I used the correct type of USB port and did that it was simple. Hopefully that'll save you the hours I spent on it.

After the technical issues of getting it working, I'd give the GoPro BacPac & Remote kit a big thumbs up.

I had all the same setup headaches, but it works great now. The other issue I've found (and it's mentioned in the backpac user's manual) is that the backpac will "feed off" the main camera battery when it gets low. When I have the camera mounted in the cockpit, I always plug the audio cable in along with the USB cord to keep the battery tip-top.

Mike, I notice some waviness in portions of the first video. Is that the waviness that kevinh has eliminated with his mounting.

Don't know.

I've always assumed the waviness was writing interference onto the card.

I always record at full HD onto a Class 10 card but sometimes get waviness or stuttering.

I believe the GoPro 2 is much better.

I'm getting one soon to replace one that succumbed at 130mph on my buddy's race motorbike on the Isle of Man ..........

The rider was OK, it just fell off and unfortunately, the catch got caught. The casing was in fine condition :(

I've never seen so many parts before !

Mike, I was at a dive shop today and they just got in the GoPro Hero 2 (?).

They have a nice video showing it in all sort of adventure scenarios. I was impressed. They even have a diving housing for it good to about 197 feet which is adequate.

New video

Just wanted to share another video with everybody. I mounted the camera under the wing at the wing root fairing. I originally did it to see how much the exhaust system moved around during different power settings and phases of flight. It was out of shear curiosity after seeing Dan Horton's video of his cowling exhaust setup.

FYI, I'm still using the Hero2 (not the new 3) along with the iPhone app. Works great. No complaints.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=mhee&v=fnnnT5dGjpM

75 hours on the airplane, and loving every minute.....

question about the recording

Jeff:

I noticed the reflection of the left wheelpant (1:47 is a good place to start) in the upper right corner of the screen- do you know what's causing the apparent fluttering?

It does not appear the actual wheelpant is oscillating- that would be dramatically evident in a number of ways. I don't think the fuselage skin is rippling dramatically either. Video artifact?

BTW, nice video!

That's the floor under his feet vibrating. Very common on RV's...

My second flight in my RV caused me to almost have a MI. When I relaxed enough to put my feet down on the bare floor, it scared the poo out of me. I thought it was coming apart. In reality it was nothing and I was so concentrated on just flying the bird that I did not notice that I had put my feet down and all it amounted to is the floor vibrating.

It does not appear the actual wheelpant is oscillating- that would be dramatically evident in a number of ways. I don't think the fuselage skin is rippling dramatically either. Video artifact?

That's definitely the belly skin vibrating/rippling. You can see the same thing right at/after takeoff. The only video distortion comes when I was reducing power on final approach. That's from the camera mount oscillating. The same effect happened when I had it mounted on the underwing inspection panel. I haven't fabricated a new mount yet to try and reduce that oscillation.

Excellent video perspective! Looks like just a little camera instability at some critical frequency, but still provides a lot of stable video. Seems like you really have to go heavy on the bracing for 100% stable video, otherwise you'll get the GoPro jello effect.

As for the floor on RVs (most familiar with the -8), it's a pretty significant design concern. At 1550 hrs, I'm having to replace quite a few rivets and deal with some minimal skin cracking. If I were building one right now, I'd spend some time reinforcing the structure/skin, as well as installing dampening materials in these areas. Emphasis on the latter.

Fuse Floor vibration

That's the floor under his feet vibrating. Very common on RV's...

My second flight in my RV caused me to almost have a MI. When I relaxed enough to put my feet down on the bare floor, it scared the poo out of me...

Brian, Jeff:

Thanks, one less item on the "What was that?" list when I start flying.

I thought that thick foam under the carpet was to keep my toes toasty...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back