What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro Camera Video

BruceS

First off let me apologize, it's not an RV it's a Cozy MKIV. Ken Murphy (pilot/AC owner) and I have been working on using different cameras (SD and HD) and attaching them to his plane. I think we have the right camera now.

Here's a link to some video that was shot using the GoPro Hero from three different cameras on his plane for the first time. It's a pretty large file (122.6MB) and only 4 minutes long, but, worth the download time. This video will give you an idea as to how good this camera is, you should see this in full HD! The GoPro does have some issues when mounting to the plane as you can see in the video (vibration), but, they are easy to overcome.

https://www.box.net/shared/mxc4i8fuo0

Nice video Mike! Great flying as well.

I flip my image in post production at the moment. I'll be glad when they fix that.

Here's a still image of a flight flying between the Sisters mountains in Oregon looking north with the camera mounted on the outside on the fuselage. The center mountain is Mt Jefferson(45 miles) the next to the right is Mt Hood(90 miles) and just to the right, a little hard to see is Mt Adams (150 miles away).

GoPro%20Still2.jpg

We've found that taking the camera out of the plastic case while shooting produces a sharper and clearer image. The plastic cover over the lens drops the quality down. You do have to be careful about moisture then.

Editing Program

I'm curious what others are using for editing programs for a PC with the raw files from the GoPro. I use Roxio and find that it makes all the colors look dull. I have tried different types of file outputs to no avail.

The suction cup mount works fantastic and allows the camera to be moved around easily for different types of shots. I'll have to try unscrewing the lens cover from the case to see what the difference is in the quality.

I'm curious what others are using for editing programs for a PC with the raw files from the GoPro. I use Roxio and find that it makes all the colors look dull. I have tried different types of file outputs to no avail.

The suction cup mount works fantastic and allows the camera to be moved around easily for different types of shots. I'll have to try unscrewing the lens cover from the case to see what the difference is in the quality.

You'll be pleased with the clarity of the pictures with the plastic lens cover off. The video will pick up more contrast and more color saturation.

Are you able to plug in the camera and play your files on the desk top or do you have to import them into Roxio to play? If so, do they look better than the out-put of Roxio?

mike,

i'll pick up a gopro tomorrow as well :)

will report back on the tool chain i'll end up using.
so far, i've used windows live movie maker on windows7 and was very happy with it. (with other movie cams)
it's basic, but was all that i needed so far.

cu latest at osh :)

bernie

Here is another example of the GoPro in action. A fellow RVator friend of mine Dale Parker, just got one and this is his first video in the RV6.

http://www.vimeo.com/13017489

I did the editing for him on this. Just something quick and simple to test the camera out. The quality is A LOT better than what you see here, This is a semi-compressed version, but still not bad.

Are you able to plug in the camera and play your files on the desk top or do you have to import them into Roxio to play? If so, do they look better than the out-put of Roxio?

I can play the videos right from the camera or the downloaded raw file. The problem I'm having is when I go to edit the video in Roxio. I can burn it to any other format in Roxio but the colors are always washed out so just looking to see if there are any better video editing programs that I can use to avoid this.

so what is so great about the GoPro camera that makes everyone get one?

does it have remote on/off?

Small all-in-one CamCorders & Other Options

All of these small one piece CamCorders can be made so small & inexpensive because they are in essence, highly integrated digital video camera & recorders. Gone is any expensive & large tape handling or DVD handling system or an expensive hard drive. But they are mostly designed for hand use by consumers. Missing are any remote control options or external audio input. Also still lacking is a digital interface standard that would allow remote cameras to feed digital video to a local digital video recorder.

So, I'm still looking at a slightly different system, sort of a hybrid system, that has a instrument panel mobile DVR (digital video recorder), recording to SDHC cards, and accepts analog video in from 4 remote video cameras (bullet type), located remote to the cockpit. The small DVR is fast enough to record all 4 channels in parallel to allow for post processing & editing. It also has audio input which would be from an intercom output to record intercom comments & radio calls. Also local & remote control. The DVR also records some data inputs such as GPS position & several switch closures, in parallel with the video & audio. Sort of a mini black box.

This would be an interim system until bullet cams go digital & there is a standard digital interface.

GH

PS: This doesn't stop me from buying an MD80 tape-on, I don't care if I lose it, type Cam for a quick solution. :)

Last edited:
I can play the videos right from the camera or the downloaded raw file. The problem I'm having is when I go to edit the video in Roxio. I can burn it to any other format in Roxio but the colors are always washed out so just looking to see if there are any better video editing programs that I can use to avoid this.

That is frustrating. I have some software that does the same thing and I have to adjust for it before I export the video. Most editing software will allow you to adjust the video levels when exporting. Are there any controls in Roxio for that? More than glad to see if I can help, which version of Roxio do you have?

GrayHawk, to me that sounds like the Motocam360, remote control, GPS integrated, Intercom, Sony bullet cam, SD Memory, single, 2 or 4 cam system.
saw one at Arlington, pretty nice unit.
another one called the Drift is remote control and they are coming out with a HD version very SOON i believe.

GrayHawk, to me that sounds like the Motocam360, remote control, GPS integrated, Intercom, Sony bullet cam, SD Memory, single, 2 or 4 cam system.
saw one at Arlington, pretty nice unit.
another one called the Drift is remote control and they are coming out with a HD version very SOON i believe.

Maybe, but my system is just my own collection of what I can find (usually from China). It makes sense to me, so maybe it makes sense to others also.

I am hoping small digital HD cameras show up soon. Right now it is D1 level only.

Here is my small 4 channel DVR, will be panel mounted, 4 D1 resolution channels simultaneously, GPS & data in parallel, can change cards in flight, on/off in flight, all on ship's power.

0eac9d8a725fd5757601917341637f50.image.300x300.jpg

GH

Last edited:
so what is so great about the GoPro camera that makes everyone get one?

does it have remote on/off?

Probably for most, they're small, can be placed almost anywhere and are relatively inexpensive for the quality of the picture. With over 4hrs of record time using a 32 gig SD Card, remote on/off is not an issue for some. The big problem comes when the camera is on the outside of the fuselage when you're above 10,000 ft, record time drops down to 1 hr. or less.

My mission, (which is different than most) is to be able to shoot HD video from almost any plane without having to run cables or wires to the camera. Be able to have 4 or more attached to the outside of the plane at one time. Set up time is cut drastically if all you have to do is attach them to the plane. It took us almost two hours to attach 3 cameras to the Viperjet, two outside and one inside. With this many cameras, one flight and we'll have four or more different angles to choose from.

For recording audio, I use a small digital recorder that accepts an external mic that's placed into the headset and records perfect audio everytime no matter which plane I'm in. Then it gets added in the editing portion.

If I were shooting in the same aircraft all the time, my set-up would change.

i am definitely looking at only ones with remote trigger for start and stop... pretty hard to get them rolling when they're mounted outside. i could always get my passenger to take care of it:D
i think the lipstick type are a great way to get started.

I pre-wired my Midget Mustang for a lipstick-style tail cam in the tip of the vertical stabilizer.

My ideal setup would include:

A lipstick cam capable of 100 degrees +/- angle of vision and HD resolution
A digital recorder with remote on/off capability and no moving parts
A real-time video output on the DVR so I could monitor the feed via a small LCD monitor in the cockpit
Separate audio input to the DVR to attach it to the ship's audio feed

I'd love it if someone would tell me all of the above is available. Please use specific brands and model numbers. :D

The other thing I'd really love to do is take still pictures. I found the thread where someone made a fantastic in-wing mount with a 2-way adjustable mount using RC servos. Very cool. He was controlling the still camera using a laptop computer and camera control software.

Since mine's a single seat, what I really need is a wired remote trigger for a still camera and a live video feed to a cockpit-mounted 7" LCD monitor from the still camera showing me what I'm taking pictures of. When I see something I like, I could just trip the shutter on the camera. Unfortunately, complete specs on digital cameras are hard to come by and nobody is actively advertising these particular specs on their cameras.

I'm open to ideas if anyone has them.

RWW

BTW... I'm looking forward to attending the LOE event this year. I went to the first one way back when, but haven't been since. I'll be bringing my Midget Mustang painted up like Danny King's Beautiful Doll. I suppose I'll be the turd in the punchbowl with my off-brand plane, but I AM [in theory] building an RV8...

Trade Notes?

"My ideal setup would include:

A real-time video output on the DVR so I could monitor the feed via a small LCD monitor in the cockpit

xxxxx--SNIP--xxxxx

BTW... I'm looking forward to attending the LOE event this year. I went to the first one way back when, but haven't been since. I'll be bringing my Midget Mustang painted up like Danny King's Beautiful Doll. I suppose I'll be the turd in the punchbowl with my off-brand plane, but I AM [in theory] building an RV8..."

Rod, we may have to trade notes. What you want is very similar to what I want. Also being in the next hangar row :) would help with the notes trading.

BTW, if you get high enough quality video, then reasonable stills come free. To illustrate & I hope this is OK with you, this is a frame from some of the video I shot this weekend at our open house.

midgetmustang.jpg

Last edited:
My ideal setup would include:

I'd love it if someone would tell me all of the above is available. Please use specific brands and model numbers. :D

That I know of, not yet at HD, but all are available at D1.

Last edited:
OK. **Now** I know who GrayHawk is... Yes. We should definitely compare notes. Based on our previous conversations regarding techie stuff, I am quite certain you know quite a bit more than me!

Thanks for posting a picture of my plane. That's pretty decent considering it came from a video camera, but I'll need/want a minimum of 3-5 megapixel air-to-ground stills for my intended use--large, hardcopy prints.

See you around the funny farm... That's what FNL stands for, right?

RWW

That is frustrating. I have some software that does the same thing and I have to adjust for it before I export the video. Most editing software will allow you to adjust the video levels when exporting. Are there any controls in Roxio for that? More than glad to see if I can help, which version of Roxio do you have?

I need to get back into Roxio and check out if there are controls for this. Here is one of the first videos I shot with the GoPro set at r2 720p 30fps and edited to an mp4 before uploading. The quality of the upload to Vimeo is similar to the outputted file from Roxio. The raw video from the camera had much brighter colors and no annoying lines through the video. Any suggestions for improvements would be greatly appreciated.
http://vimeo.com/10448022

I need to get back into Roxio and check out if there are controls for this. Here is one of the first videos I shot with the GoPro set at r2 720p 30fps and edited to an mp4 before uploading. The quality of the upload to Vimeo is similar to the outputted file from Roxio. The raw video from the camera had much brighter colors and no annoying lines through the video. Any suggestions for improvements would be greatly appreciated.
What are the "no annoying lines" you are speaking of? Not the prop artifacts?

Besides the many free 'movie maker' apps around, most of the higher end editing programs have a free trial. Maybe you could try those to find one that leaves the high quality color saturation the camera seems to provide in the raw video.

I use Sony Vegas & am fairly sure it allows a lot of control over colors and saturation.

If you look at the edges of anything in the video the lines are easier to see. I am familiar with the prop arcing issue but that is not it. Your idea of the free trials is a good one to select a better editing program.

If you look at the edges of anything in the video the lines are easier to see. I am familiar with the prop arcing issue but that is not it. Your idea of the free trials is a good one to select a better editing program.
Thanks. I'll take another look for the lines. I can't right now as a friend on my network started up a bit torrent that is hogging the bandwidth.

Your video looks good, Good example of overhead approach. If I can help in any way, let me know. Wish I could write a 'prop smear' filter. If you had a choice, how would you like the prop to appear, solid transparent disk, normal prop rotating, or no prop?

The video does look pretty good. I looked for those lines and I didn't see them, even on the edges. Your flesh tones look good, it just needs a bump in saturation and contrast, hopefully you'll find those controls in Roxio.

Try taking off the plastic lens cover and that will help get more contrast and a sharper image. The canopy kills the picture enough, we're shooting through two pieces of plastic with it on.

GrayHawk, if you can write that I'll be the first in line for that correction. For now, since these lens (GoPro) have a fixed iris and the exposure is adjusted by the shutter, the way to correct the issue is by adding ND (neutral density) to the lens. Like putting a pair of sunglasses on the camera, this will make the shutter slow down. If you add about 5 f-stops the prop will spin very nicely.

We had a similar issue with the CCD chips. The prop would stop or spin backwards depending upon RPM, very annoying. I would take the lens off and place ND between the chips and lens and it worked just fine. I've taken the GoPro apart and can't get the lens off, it seems to be glued to the chip. I'm working on adding ND to the front of the lens, the program would be easier I have to say.

I guess we should all go jets. Solves the prop smear artifacts and 100LL issues in a one giant step.

My guess is that a 'filter' to get rid of the prop artifacts would be near impossible and probably make the end product worse. :confused:

For any one that would like to download a couple of full rez GoPro HD clips, here's a link. They're both about 33 MB each and only about 30 seconds long. I'd give you some larger ones, but, I have to keep an eye on my monthly bandwidth limit.

These are the actual files from the camera (well, a copy anyway). 1920 X 1080P, H.264 codec.

https://www.box.net/shared/hbgu82cc5b

We shot these with the camera on the nose of the Cozy without the plastic case on the camera. For those of you that have an HD monitor, you'll really enjoy these. If for some reason the video looks like its stuttering or missing frames, that's normal. Our processors can't play these back smoothly all the time, even my dual quad core processors can't always keep up.

VG HD Indeed !

Downloaded the files - can't wait to get my 7 on it's first flight with my Go-Pro.

Lending it to a buddy for his first flight this month.

windows live movie maker (free download from microsoft) on windows 7 seems to work just fine for now :)
simple but does all the basics.
i did have lots of codecs installed previously, so in case the "windows live movie maker" by itself doesn't work, then download e.g. "k-lite codec pack".

for now i seem to like the r4 setting somewhat better than r5. the downside is that the r4 is 4:3 vs 16:9 for the r5.
will do some more experimentation.

also the firmware doesn't support the flipping/upside down mount recording feature yet (although it's promised on the web and in the documentation).
so for now, i just record with the cam hanging upside down from the canopy and then flip the picture during cutting / processing.

rgds,
bernie

If anyone is wondering about GoPro's customer service or warrenty.
I was having a problem with my camera turning on, I sent an email and two days later received a RAN. Sent my camera in without a receipt and 3 days from the time they received it I had a new replacement.

If for some reason the video looks like its stuttering or missing frames, that's normal. Our processors can't play these back smoothly all the time, even my dual quad core processors can't always keep up.

but an intel atom processor in a boxee box can? I'd say check your settings....it doesn't take that much to play back 1080p, ps3/xbox360 has 4-5year old technology in them and they handle it just fine!

Back