What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good two-part exterior paint for DIY

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good two-part paint for steel pieces? I am planning to use the akzo primer, and want a good two part white paint that:
* Is reasonably priced
* Not overly toxic
* Relatively easy to apply
* Obtained locally

Is SW Jet-flex the best option? Other options?

THanks,
Scott

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good two-part paint for steel pieces? I am planning to use the akzo primer, and want a good two part white paint that:
* Is reasonably priced
* Not overly toxic
* Relatively easy to apply
* Obtained locally

Is SW Jet-flex the best option? Other options?

THanks,
Scott

I have used PPG OMNI MTK from the local English Color (Auto paint Supplier) to topcoat the cockpit interior and weldments. It meets all but your toxicity requirements. The reality is, almost all two-part paints are going to be nasty, so use proper PPE. I think I was $70-80 into it for a quart and supplies, but with enough hardener and reducer for twice that. The second quart (second color) was much less since I only had to buy the paint ~$40. The entire cockpit and panel probably used a little over a pint of paint. Coverage was great, pretty easy to spray as well.

FP09092012A00057.jpg

Exterior

If you're shooting exterior, SW would be Jet Glo.
Jet Flex is interior. It comes in water based and solvent based. All colors are satin or flat. No gloss.

Careful if your using two part paints you want an air fed respirator. Isocyanates are not good. You can become sensitized to it the first time or the 100th time there's no way to know.

Stewart System

I have used the Stewart System paint and I'm pretty happy of the result. My only experience of shooting paint are my R/C aircraft.... Go to my kitlog to see the result.....

Back