What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good Ground Bad Ground ?

shiney

Well Known Member
I had cause to disconnect the ground from my SL40 tonight. On starting the panel up to check some other items, the SL40 came to life! I checked that there wasn't a duplicate ground wire, there wasn't so my only conclussion is that the actual unit is getting ground from the frame which in turn is connected to the panel. Is this a good or a bad thing? and if bad, does the frame need issolating? :confused:

Hello,
As I wired my panel-- I checked all my avonics and other electrical "boxes,"
every single one were chassis grounded!:eek::rolleyes:

This can be considered normal. I'd only be worried if it turned on with the power wire disconnected... :D

Grounding 101

Three electrical engineers helped me wire my panel and were adamant that all electrical devices grounded to one central device. If you look at the attached photo you will note the ground plate I circled in red. Everything that needs a ground was connected to this plate.

My radios perform great!

groundg.jpg

Should be okay

The devices will take the route of least resistance to ground. The recommended procedure is to have a ground source connected directly to the battery, and connect all your avionics grounds to there. That should provide the route of least resistance, and additional grounds through the chassis will not have any effect nor create ground loops.

At least that is the theory as understood by an Accountant working in IT!

Back