What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good Fuel Stop

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Bumped into a good fuel stop if you find yourself running the length of the Appalachians.....KMKJ, Mountain Empire, Virginia. Pretty little airport alongside Interstate 81, new terminal, great fuel prices, with an additional cash discount. They even have autogas. Oh yeah, and Charlie the manager is an RV builder. He just got his back from the paint shop, first flight soon.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMKJ

Cheap gas, a big tailwind, and dinner with Mom. What's not to like? :)

a4pys9.jpg

We stopped in a few weeks ago (driving, unfortunately) to get our Virginia Aviation Ambassador Passports stamped. He was just walking out the the door for the night but turned around to help us out even though we were not making a purchase. When I learned to fly in VA 20+ years ago someone tried to take off there uphill on a hot day with a school Cessna and wasn't successful. After that, the school would not allow us to land there in one of their planes. I've wanted to go there ever since!

Nice numbers Dan. what was your fuel burn?

About 10.2, 75ROP. CHT (and speed) is a little low, but I have the medium size exit on it right now. The small one is home for a new project.

3.8 hobbs from 08A to KCXY, about 3.9 return. Had to make a little zig around the DC airspace, and a halfway stop for the GIB (girl in back ;))

Back