What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good Compressor or get a bigger one?

Alex44

Hey Guys, I am in tool collecting mode. Is this compressor from Harbor Freight, 4 HP, 29 Gallon, 120 PSI, big enough to do all the riveting? It lists for $369.99, but with the 20% coupon can be bought for $295.99 + the sales tax.

HFcompressor.gif

Specs here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65903

Last edited:
get the biggest you can power

mine is about that size and is the biggest single phase unit i could get. it will be fine for all of the riveting although any large consumer of air will drain it quickly... using a cut off wheel in a hand grinder to cut the canopy or panel will take patience but can certainly be done. if you plan to move your compressor to a hangar one day you will likely be limited on power to single phase with less than 15 amps.

More on riveting

My compressor system has two pumps. A 5hp and a 1hp. 99% of the time all we need is the 1hp pump for riveting. When I paint I run both or to quickly fill the 60 gallon tank, I will run both. When Chet is riveting and I'm using the angle grinder we use both but usually the 1hp will handle our riveting or angle grinder needs.

It's good to have a water separator and air filter to lengthen the lives of all air tools.

If you're not doing finish painting, that will most likely work for you. In 6 years of building, mine seemed to work well with not too much cycling. I modified the intake to quite it down a little, but overall, it's been a good compressor for a slo-build -7. The only area where it had a tough time keeping up was extended use of a die grinder.

I am going to be doing finish painting so the larger one is for sure the better way to go and it is two stage. Been reading and looks like it goes on sale from time to time for $799 and then you can add an additional 15-20% off coupon and get it for something near $639...gonna think on it a bit.

Back