What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good choice / Bad choice?

129TG

I need some feedback on my choice of propeller. I recently (2 weeks ago) placed an order with Vans for an MT prop for my O-360-A1A. I ordered a MTV-12-B/183-59B. I really thought that my choice was a solid choice until I spoke with one of my Atlanta cronies that pointed out to me that he new of a fellow RV?r that was having a lot of problems with the oil seals on his MT prop. He also pointed out the fact that it was an experimental propeller or not certificated for my O-360. Needless to say, he took the wind out of my sails and made me second-guess my decision. I am having that sickening feeling of really messing up and wasting a lot of money. Does anyone out there have any direct experience with this MT prop and could shed some light on the subject. It can be good or bad.

I have over 50 hours on my MT prop on my RV-10. That's not much time, but it has been trouble free so far. I would talk to MT USA in Deland FL to get the straight story on whether your propeller is certified with your engine. MT's primary business is certified propellers, not experimental. The MT propeller I bought for my airplane is certified on the IO-540, according to MT.

Talk to MT

I'd suggest you talk to MT. Maybe even the factory in Germany. Check the website and your time zone and speak to them direct.
I know when I had a governor problem they were very helpful.

Peter

MT Prop

I have over 220 hours on my RV-10 with MT prop. However I had it assembled at the factory and delivered ready to install. I have heard of some problems with stateside assembly of MT props. I think Van's only sells unassembled MT Props and you have to ship them to a stateside rep to have them put together.

If you are still able to cancel your Van's order, you might check out
http://www.lessdrag.com/
who I bought my MT Prop through.

I also had my prop delivered assembled from the factory. Jim Ayers at LessDragProducts.com is very knowledgable about MT props, as well.

I had an MT prop on my 10, and now on my 7A. Both have been trouble free and are very smooth. Both were assembled in Germany and shipped to Altanta.

Vic

Good Choice Apparently !

Thanks to everyone that has given me input to my dilemma. This morning I called MT-Propeller USA, Inc. in DeLand, Florida. I talked with a really nice gentleman by the name of David. He told me that the prop I had ordered was indeed certified to my Superior O-360-A1A, and that the only problem they had had was with the paint cracking about two inches out from the hub, (due to felx on older props), that was resolved in the manufacturing process by adding an additional layer of carbon. The hub seal problem was a random problem that more than likely was resultant of the build process here state-side. I am confident that my choice was a good one and according to you guys, concurred with. Thanks again, regards

Thom

Back