What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gone and done it

flyindoorman

Well Known Member
I pick up my new to me RV10 on Thursday in Kansas City and then i hope the real fun begins. All my friends that fly certified aircraft think i have lost my mind but I'm looking forward to the new adventures ahead as me and my family travel in the RV.

I will post pics if I can figure out how to do so.

Questions to come soon so thanks in advance for your help.

Randy

Don't let your friends fly in your RV.. they will throw rocks at their planes afterwards.

Thanks

Thanks Brian. I figure I can blow past the 182's they are flying on a couple of gallons an hour less hauling more.

Congratulations Randy...

...a move you'll never regret.

I've had mine a little over a year and never looked back. If your friends fly either a Bonanza, 210 or Comanche, tell them you'll race for pinks:) I made that offer to a friend of mine who has a 2005 Cirrus and he refused.

The new Cirrii are faster than we are, by a little bit....also $420K:eek:

Best,

Thanks Pierre

At about $300,000 cheaper I think I will have to stick with the RV.

I'm looking forward to learing the ins and outs of flying the 10.

Everyone tells me they are easy to transistion into. I have about 650 hours of Mooney time and about 400 hours Cessna 185 and 195 time.

I guess, one very important pre-flight aspect...

...is to be sure and check the elevator trim position. The -10 needs a pile of "up" trim on final with the flaps extended..a lot of trim that will be hard to overcome on the next takeoff if you forget to re-position it.

Other than that, the airplane's a pussycat and flies a lot like a Cessna 182..rock solid.

I'd recommend 100 MPH on downwind, abeam the numbers, 90 on base and 80 on final with one or two aboard. In time, solo, you'll find that you can get slower...around 76 MPH or so and land really short.

It's hard to hold the nose off with one or two up front...much easier with someone in the rear....and the stick forces can be pretty heavy during the flare.

Have fun,

Congratulations

You will enjoy the RV10. We bought ours in May and certainly have enjoyed it. Follow Pierre's advice and you will find the transition easy.

Trim

Pierre thanks for the tip.

Do you use flaps for takeoff ?

Tom we are just down the road in San Antonio maybe we can meet up for a $100 burger one day..

let's meet

Randy, yes let's meet somewhere for a lunch. We fly out alot with some neighbors for lunch. As you make the transition to the RV10, let's find a place to meet.

As you pick up your new RV10, make sure you understand how the builder has been locking the rudder when parked on the ramp. Lock the rudder whenever you are stopped on the ramp because some RV10 rudders have been damaged.

Have fun with your new machine.

My mistake I thought you were picking up a kit, note to self - pay more attention!

So in answer to your question for take off flaps, no. On long sealed runways no flap, but just like say a Bonanza if the runway is short, or is rough grass / gravel and or heavy loads and a hot day, I will use between 10-20 degrees but no more.

You can get it to do a really nice short fielder! :)

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Tommy I would love to meet up with you guys sometime once I get a little time in the 10.

Thanks

Back