What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Going to OSH via KSAF

AllThumbs

Well Known Member
Friend
We will be flying from the left coast to KSAF (to see friends) and then on to KFLD to park for AirVenture.

Not having much experience flying across the midwest, I'd love to get some advice and strategies that you folks use to safely get around this part of the country. I know the basic rules of leave early in the AM, stay clear of building CB at all costs, but I'm sure there are many other useful tidbits to think about as we head toward Mechanical Mecca.

We may file IFR but plan to maintain VFR along the route so we can visually deviate as needed. We have ADS-B Wx (and Traffic) which I believe works in this region now.

We will be flying from the left coast to KSAF (to see friends) and then on to KFLD to park for AirVenture.

Not having much experience flying across the midwest, I'd love to get some advice and strategies that you folks use to safely get around this part of the country. I know the basic rules of leave early in the AM, stay clear of building CB at all costs, but I'm sure there are many other useful tidbits to think about as we head toward Mechanical Mecca.

We may file IFR but plan to maintain VFR along the route so we can visually deviate as needed. We have ADS-B Wx (and Traffic) which I believe works in this region now.

Pretty much nailed it.

OSH

You don't say what type aircraft.
By the end of the month, the nighttime low temperatures in the lower desert elevations will be bumping 100 degrees, 110-120 by late morning. The higher elevations around Flagstaff cool off quite a bit at night so you can get a early start with a reasonable density altitude for takeoff. Along the Kingman Albuquerque route I have seen the turbulence start as early as 9 am .
Leaving SAF if you follow I 25 until south of Las Vegas, you are pretty much out of the high terrain, all down hill from there. Stay away from the CB's and you can fly all day if you don't mind the turbulence. This has been a very active tornado season along that route and I would expect this to continue into August.

The last poster meant Las Vegas NM, not the real Las Vegas in NV!
From Novato you have to choose between north or south of the huge Nevada test site restricted area. South, a nice route in good wx is thru the pass just west and north of Mammoth Lakes, direct Las Vegas (the real one -:)) overflying the class B unless you need a fuel stop at North Las Vegas (gas is expensive at KLAS)! Skirt south of the restricted areas, over St George UT and on to KSAF. North route is slightly more direct but less scenic. Go over the Sierras at Yosemite, Lee Vining, skirt just north of the test site restricted area, Cedar City, KSAF.
BTW, back east people think the 'midwest' is Indianna and Illinois, for reasons I never understood. I presume you meant 'out west'. -:)
Watch out for TFRs due to fire fighting.

Probably the O-360 RV-6, JRS, so DA is a consideration. We are actually going to KLVS but the fear of Wx/Hail damage made me look for an airport with available hangers. I forgot to ask if anyone knows of an available rental hanger at KLVS. If so, we'd love to land there as that is actually our first destination!

From DVO to KSAF (or KLVS) I was looking at the southern route as the northern route doesn't seem to have as many outs. We do have portable O2 now so we have the option to go high.

From KSAF it's I Follow Roads east to lower ground as JRS suggested.

Any advice on interpreting ADSB Nexrad for strategic (long range) planning other than to plot the trend? I have no intention of dodging and weaving with Nexrad.

Is it better to deviate ahead of or behind these large systems that brew up? I'm also reading about dry lines and other things I should be looking out for.

Thanks, all, for the info and advice. Prior planning...

Thumbs,

Caution is good, but don't let it prevent you from enjoying the trip. Half the fun of Oshkosh is getting there.

You've got onboard radar (thought you said you did), so this will be cake. Just treat the big red blobs as slow moving mountains. Look for the safe "passes" to fly between them. Anticipate their movement. You have a line moving across your path, see if you can thread between the cells. Or make a decision early to fly behind the line. Or deviate ahead of the line (all depends on your course, storm movement direction, speed, etc.). 99% chance that - if you encounter anything - it will be very visible, very avoidable.

Other tidbits? Just keep an alternate or two. For fuel price, availability, and to hold for an un-dodgeable line of rain. I always try to arrive at Oshkosh with 1/2-3/4 tank of fuel.

I know landing at OSH isn't for everyone. But if you're on the bubble, give it a go. It's just one more very fun, and occasionally exciting, aspect of the trip! And then you'll be able to say *you* flew *your* plane to Oshkosh.

We're staying in Fond Du Lac so KFLD is our target. Someday I'll fly right into Mecca but it's not a must-do this year. I'm just glad we can go! Next year they change the dates and my summer conflicts will prevent me from attending for a long time.

ADSB Wx is onboard. So we assume its delayed and our deviations will be WIDE.

Back