What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS480 w/G3x

smt6

Well Known Member
Have a GTX33ES remotely running on the G3X.

For my position source from my GNS480, I am having trouble comprehending which pins and config options I need here for ADSB.

I am currently getting the NO ADSB above the transponder code.

Any help would be appreciated.

Combining the information found in figures 27-2.12 and 27-2.14 in the current G3X installation manual (revision AQ), it looks like you want to connect the output from RS-232 port #6 (pins 22 and 42) on the GNS 480 to RS-232 port #2 (pins 24 and 50) on the GTX 33ES. The GNS 480 RS-232 output format should be configured to "ADS-B+" and the GTX 33ES RS-232 input should be configured to "Remote". If the software in your GNS 480 is very old you may need a software update to be able to configure the "ADS-B+" format.

Combining the information found in figures 27-2.12 and 27-2.14 in the current G3X installation manual (revision AQ), it looks like you want to connect the output from RS-232 port #6 (pins 22 and 42) on the GNS 480 to RS-232 port #2 (pins 24 and 50) on the GTX 33ES. The GNS 480 RS-232 output format should be configured to "ADS-B+" and the GTX 33ES RS-232 input should be configured to "Remote". If the software in your GNS 480 is very old you may need a software update to be able to configure the "ADS-B+" format.

Thanks Matt, I saw that but figured that was for the GNS to run the transponder. Is that incorrect I take it?

Thanks Matt, I saw that but figured that was for the GNS to run the transponder. Is that incorrect I take it?

If the GNS 480 is your only IFR GPS, then yes you will need to connect it to your transponder in order to have compliant position data.

Serial 3 from GNS 480

The GNS 480 will only output the needed ADSB+ format from Serial Port 3 which is pin 6 on Main Connector P1.

Back