What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS 430w message..Not receiving input data on 429 Channel #1

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
Flew leg #1 in my RV7A yesterday and everything worked fine..the 430w with no messages, all functions working on the D-180 and the AP 74 hooked up and performing all functions just fine. Parked the plane (in the hot sun) for 3 hours. Returned to the plane for the trip back home. After startup and turning on the avionics master the 430w booted up normally, all satellites received and then displayed the message as shown in the photo. I was unable to set the altimeter in the D-180 as the function switch was inoperative for altimeter setting. Took off and headed home (vfr of course). In flight the autopilot would engage and the altitude hold worked fine. But I had no heading input because the heading function was not working and the GPSS steering function would not track in the Nav mode. ATC confirmed receiving my ADSB altitude info. So, I guess my question is what could be possible reasons the 430w would all of a sudden lose a connection as per the message and where do I need to look to start troubleshooting what is missing in the system. Thanks

Flew leg #1 in my RV7A yesterday and everything worked fine..the 430w with no messages, all functions working on the D-180 and the AP 74 hooked up and performing all functions just fine. Parked the plane (in the hot sun) for 3 hours. Returned to the plane for the trip back home. After startup and turning on the avionics master the 430w booted up normally, all satellites received and then displayed the message as shown in the photo. I was unable to set the altimeter in the D-180 as the function switch was inoperative for altimeter setting. Took off and headed home (vfr of course). In flight the autopilot would engage and the altitude hold worked fine. But I had no heading input because the heading function was not working and the GPSS steering function would not track in the Nav mode. ATC confirmed receiving my ADSB altitude info. So, I guess my question is what could be possible reasons the 430w would all of a sudden lose a connection as per the message and where do I need to look to start troubleshooting what is missing in the system. Thanks
As everything was working fine before the trip home, I would first check the
D-sub connectors. On the D-180 I would
check ARINC communication with the
GNS430W.

Good luck

I'd start with swapping the D180, then the 430W. One-at-a-time... If the problem persists, then I would look at the connectors/pins/wires.

As everything was working fine before the trip home, I would first check the
D-sub connectors. On the D-180 I would
check ARINC communication with the
GNS430W.

Good luck
And where would the Dynon Arinc normally be located on an RV7? In the radio stack on the panel bulkhead? I'm not the builder and not that tech savvy with avionics. Thanks

No fun going behind the panel, but: pull out the 430 manual, find where the two pins are for ARINC #1 input. Check that they and their wires are intact. Sometimes just unplugging that connector, spraying all the pins with contact cleaner, re-installing may fix the problem. Otherwise start tracing the two wires back to the dynon box, again check the connections at that end, and again remove the connector and spray the pins.

Back