What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS 430W COMM issue

Bavafa

Well Known Member
A quick background;
I wanted to pull out my 430 to send for SW upgrade but it is stuck in the tray and have not been able to pull it out. I fuss with it much and finally gave up. Once everything back together (no wiring change) I am unable to receive any transmission thru the 430 and no side tone while I press the PTT. My second radio (SL40) is working as before so this rules out the headset, PTT

I believe I am able to transmit thru the 430 radio only not receive or hear the sidetone, but I do see the Rc in the comm window. Also no message in relation to faulty COMM on the 430.

Does receive and sidetone some how go thru the same circuit, could this be a volume problem (I can?t remember if the volume effects the side tone as well)

P.S. I am going to give it another shot in trying to pull it out of its tray

Not well insert in the tray

Probably by trying to pull it out the gps is pull out a little bit and the antenna or connector are not well sit in the tray rear connector.

You need to pull the radio.
You may need to remove whatever is below the 400 to make sure the locking cam is up and clear.
Examine the pins in tbe rear connectors. It is not too hard to bend them over if mis-inserted.

I gave it a go again today with the help of a friend and no luck.

Here is the setup,
I have four devices from top is my 340 intercom, GNS 430W, SL40, GTX 330
The trays are screwed to the mounting brackets from the sides (front and back) with the exception of the 340 (shorter) which has only screws in the front.

I can pull the SL40 without any issues but nothing else. I can see the tab on the 330 since is it at the bottom that unlatches from the locking position but does not budge no matter how much force you put on it. I also slipped a piece of thin aluminum under the 430 to make sure it is not engaged in the locking slot and that is not moving either. We put a lot of force on it and did not move even one millimeter.

I removed all the screws on my panel that helds to the fuselage, thinking if there has been any twist or jamming of the trays, this will take the pressure off and still no joy.

I don’t think I have been as frustrated and puzzled with anything on this plane as this part. It appears as if it is held by the back connectors but those just get connected to the tray and not the radio.

Since the screw heads are all inside the tray, I cannot remove any of them to remove the entire thing out.
And the last piece of info, I confirmed today that the radio transmit loud and clear only I can not receive any audio (I can hear the NAV morse codes)

Last edited:
Update

Today I gave it another go and decided to remove the connectors at the back end of the tray since nothing else seemed to be keeping them from coming out. Once the connectors were pulled, they slided right out with ease. So, if you do not have the male/female adaptor installed at the back, this could cause much pain later on. I will be installing those now.

Back