What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gnd wire needed from 4 post starter solenoid?

Bushcaddy

Well Known Member
I have a cole hersee starter solenoid...insulated 24047: http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/187/24047/

I have the diode installed between the S terminal and the bolt that holds the solenoid to the firewall.

Because the solenoid is insulated and doesn't ground through the case should I also add a separate ground wire or does the diode accomplish this?

Thanks

That particular solenoid is not the "standard" starter solenoid this is used in RVs and it does not get wired the same way.

I'd recommend using the black one that Van's sells - it is inverted and fails open rather than closed.

If you choose to use this one, the coil is energized using the two small posts. So one small post goes to your starter switch (+12v) and the other small post goes to ground. The internal schematic is shown on the link you have above.

Marc, thx for the reply...so to be clear, I should run a separate ground wire from one of the small posts, in addition to having the diode from the S post going to ground? Thx

Back