What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMU 44 Magnetometer location for G3X

The same magnetometer is used in the G900X system. Most (all?) of the side-by-side RVs with that setup put it in one of the two forward lightening holes in the F-714 aft deck, i.e. under the empennage fairing.

mcb

The same magnetometer is used in the G900X system. Most (all?) of the side-by-side RVs with that setup put it in one of the two forward lightening holes in the F-714 aft deck, i.e. under the empennage fairing.

mcb

Matt, I would have assumed that was too close to the elevator bellcrank/weldment and the steel fasteners for the horizontal stab. If it has proven to be a good location, do you know if the same spot woudl work in an RV-8?

My previous magnetometer was mounted on a shelf on the top longerons, but very difficult to install and/or service.

Alternatively, is there a location in the 7/8 wing which is known to be good? The steel water pipe counterweights in the ailerons seem like they might be a problem outboard....

For the SP2 I just put in the RV10, I prowled the whole airframe with a hiking compass. The sweet spot was actually about midway between baggage & tailfeathers and higher had less deflection than lower. Try a compass check before you make a mount point. It may save grief (or not).

Back