What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMC overhead console questions

ddnebert

Well Known Member
I had seen postings at some point where people were suggesting the use of the GMC "Jimmy" or similar overhead console in the RV-10. It includes four point lights, a couple of storage compartments, and a clock/compass/OAT display. So, I picked one up for about $45 including shipping but have no idea how to make the display come to life. The lights work in bench test, but I am hoping that someone who has successfully installed one can help me here.

A few questions:

1. I am guessing the compass is on the board already and an external computer is not needed for OAT or compass. Is this correct?

2. The wire colors don't seem to match the ones from the GM dealer/shop manual though the OAT wires do, and I got a $15 temperature sensor to put somewhere in outside contact.

My six wires are the following colors:

gray - dimmer?
black/white stripe - ground
lt green/black stripe - OAT signal
beige - ?
dk green - power
dk brown - ?

Any suggestions on the minimum wiring I should need to make this work with the OAT probe?

3. Any recommendations on the simplest way to mount the unit to the ceiling safely?

mounting

3. Any recommendations on the simplest way to mount the unit to the ceiling safely?

I am planning to use the GMC console too but have not yet seen one. I have mounted GPS antenna and the AFS magnetometer to the ceiling roof in the following manner.

I saved the large cutoffs of glass from trimming the doors so I cut pieces to the size I want, then rivet on nut plates where I want to mount something. Then drill out a small area in the ceiling where the back of the nutplate will protrude into the ceiling. Then glass in these nutplate brackets onto the ceiling using some flox to stiffen up the resin so it wont dribble so much.

With the GPS antenna on the outside I made a doubler with the glass cut offs the exact shape of the antenna and glassed it on the outside likie a washer. I then screwed the inside nut plate mount and this backer into position after wetting them down with flox/resin and it was self clamping till it cured.

The magnetometer being inside I had to make wedges butting against the baggage floor that would hold it in position till it cured.

I plan to mount the GMC console this same way as the magnetometer with nut plate brackets made from cut off waste from the doors. Its pretty thick and tough as aluminum and it bonds perfectly with the cabin ceiling. The nice thing about using the door waste with flox is it makes a real tough rienforced hard point on the ceiling.

I would be happy to know what model GMC console you have, and how long and wide is it if you dont mind posting that info. thanks, and good luck hanging it on the ceiling.

SIGN ME FOR A $45 OH CONSOLE

I am close to needing an OH console also and like the $45 a whole lot better than nearly $1000 for a carbon fiber one. Can you tell me how to order one from GMC? Is there a link you can provide?

Hank aka
RV-10 soon

I am close to needing an OH console also and like the $45 a whole lot better than nearly $1000 for a carbon fiber one. Can you tell me how to order one from GMC? Is there a link you can provide?

Hank aka
RV-10 soon

E-bay is full of them.

Or, just go to a "pick and pull" or similar yard.

This thread has some photos of a Chevy unit, and a lot of discussion on the subject.

Last edited:
1. I am guessing the compass is on the board already and an external computer is not needed for OAT or compass. Is this correct? I believe so. I find no information otherwise

2. The wire colors don't seem to match the ones from the GM dealer/shop manual though the OAT wires do, and I got a $15 temperature sensor to put somewhere in outside contact.

My six wires are the following colors:

gray - dimmer? My wiring diagram shows this to go to illumination dimmer
black/white stripe - ground--Correct
lt green/black stripe - OAT signal--Correct
beige - ? My diagram shows a Yellow wire going to 12v switched power on terminal 5 of the connector
dk green - Vehicle speed sensor (not used)
dk brown - Shows to go to headlamp switch 12 V when headlamps on

Any suggestions on the minimum wiring I should need to make this work with the OAT probe?

It should work with just the Beige (as long as this is pin 5) wire to power and the black/white ground. Along with your temp sensor hook ups.

I used a Chevy Tahoe map light assembly instead of an entire console. It has left and right steerable map lights and a center dome light. I replaced the center dome light with a red LED light that fits in the same socket. That gives me red flood lighting or white map lights. The map lights come with individual switches and I added a third switch for the flood light.

The wires for the rear set of lights are glassed to the top up to the front lights and then the power wires run down the center post.

I had to make a base to hold the light assembly and then mounted it with the same screw holes that held it in the Tahoe.

http://www.azcloudflyer.com/ovrhd.html

Thanks for the wiring suggestions. There are also the point light wires which make sense. I just tried the beige-power black-ground and the display lights. It only says OC SE. As for the OAT wires, green is obvious, so I'll try a common ground wire for the other.

Regarding the console, I got it on eBay and it was a used '99 GMC Jimmy Overhead Console. I think there is a Chevy Blazer that looks just the same. Dimension-wise, it is as you see in the other thread (Debbie Dewey's plane). It looks like it fits between the door hinge assemblies and would be positioned well to handle a power feed through the center post. The base (mounting surface) is curved to the GMC roofline, so I'm assuming we may have to add some glass to fit the RV-10 curve - any others with suggestions?

Here is the link to show that the compass and thermometer are working. http://websites.expercraft.com/douglasn/images/10635653874bb0276e6a502.mid.jpg I cut a small oblong hole in the top of the NACA vent and used silicone to hold the temperature probe in place.

Doug.

Last edited:
Back