What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMA-347 like COM Recording Playback

jchang10

Well Known Member
I took a recent flight in a nice Cirrus, and i really liked one feature in the GMA 347 audio panel. A single play button to play back the last 10 secs. Push again for the last 20 secs. Push again for the last 30 secs, etc. etc. etc. What a great feature. Simple to use with a single button.

Does anyone know what the best way to get similar functionality in experimental form? Currently, i have the lowly GMA 240. However, somehow i can splice into COM and redirect to an AUX input somehow???

Has anyone else done this already without having to upgrade to the 347?

Wow, i actually read the pilots guide on the GMA 347, and it is more sophisticated than i thought. Each time you hit Play, it actually rewinds back to the previous "silence" point. Thus, it basically rewinds automatically back to the last whole message. That is awesome!

I suppose there are crude ways of doing it with various recorders, but my wish is for a device with ONE button that will automatically capture traffic from the COM radio and play it back at will. I haven't found anything to do that other than an expensive audio panel. I'm working on designing one for my own panel, I'll post the results here if/when I either finish it (very low priority right now) or find something that will work.

Buy a Lightspeed Zulu2 headset (or PFX) and use their Flightlink app on an ipad. Not cheap, but for sure cheaper than a Cirrus!

The GMA350 and a bunch of the PS Engineering panels have this built in. But I don't believe it's based on a time. The one's I've used, each button press plays the next earlier transmission that it received. So if you missed something in the previous transmission, press the playback button, and it will start the last transmission from the beginning, even if it was 15 seconds long.

The GMA350 and a bunch of the PS Engineering panels have this built in. But I don't believe it's based on a time. The one's I've used, each button press plays the next earlier transmission that it received. So if you missed something in the previous transmission, press the playback button, and it will start the last transmission from the beginning, even if it was 15 seconds long.

Yes, you are right. I updated my OP. It looks like the GMA-350 is now the current model, and like the 347, it auto records the last 2.5 minutes of audio. Each play actually rewinds back to the whole sentence. This is a super fantastic feature. I really wish i had this capability.

OTOH, i really did not like the way its squelch worked. Looking at the manual, it looks like it has an auto-squelch feature. It was just not configured correctly or didnt work well. Not sure.

Back