What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

glueing rudder- Pro Seal or other adhesive?

Dancer

What are you guys using to glue the trailing edge of your rudder? Pro Seal? I've heard of one guy using JB Weld with poor results.
What works best?

Lance

pro seal

i used a rtv sealer the first time and the next day it was pillowed and seperating btween thr rivets. disassembled and cleaned with mek and used proseal. man you really would not believe the difference. perfect tight bond.
deffinately reccomend the proseal. on a side note i used the same rtv to seal aluminum intakes to engines and you have to pry them off with a 36 inch prybar. dont know or care why the rtv wouldnt work.

You really don't need any adhesive at all- I just drilled holes in my back riveting plate to cleco the rudder and triling edge to while setting the rivets- it all came out perfectly straight. :eek:

Dittos on Mikes method. I tried to glue the thing with Proseal, but I was too afraid of a big globby mess. Consequently, I used so little that it did not hold. Not wanting to mess with Proseal again, I drilled holes in a 2" X 1/4" angle steel and clecoed the TE, every other hole, to the angle. I put rivets in the other holes from the backside (MFG heads against the angle) and back riveted them using the angle as a back rivet plate over the corner of my regular plate. Once the first half of the rivets were partially set, I removed the rudder from the angle and partially set the rest on my regular back riveting plate. I then proceded to randomly set them all, keeping the rudder nice and straight. You don't need no stinking glue! :D Just get a nice, straight piece of angle steel.

Roberta

Back