What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glass panel recommendations

Looking for recommendations /advice on a new panel for my -6. My goal (for now) is a good vfr panel that I can add to in the future. I’m thinking a dynon, grt, or a G3’s screen along with a comm, engine monitor and adsb in/out. Eventually, I’d like to add an autopilot and an ifr gps. Any help on what and where to buy is appreciated. Thanks!

I’m a Garmin guy, but you really can’t go wrong with any of the ones you listed. I’d say Garmin first and Dynon second.

At least for me, it's a lot easier to do everything at once than to add avionics incrementally. You might consider postponing until you have the funds to do it all.

I have a Dynon HDX panel on my RV7A, with an Avidyne IFR GPS and Dynon autopilot. It's so much better than anything certified that I've flown.

The Dynon and Garmin offerings are nearly identical in features and cost, and are wonderful panels. I was leaning Garmin because of their size, but when I went to Oshkosh, I couldn't find anyone knowledgable about the systems with time to talk to me, while the Dynon booth was very engaged. I got great support from Dynon during my installation and on occasional queries since.

I like the Avidyne much better than the Garmin 750, which has unnecessary clicks to navigate around important information.

If you plan on keeping the aircraft for years to come pick between Garmin and Dynon. Both great systems that are similar in cost when fully configured. Then I would place Advanced Flight Systems next in line followed by GRT and then MGL dead last (I have owned an MGL equipped panel).

If you ever plan on selling the aircraft then the best choice from a market standpoint is Garmin. It's unfortunate but true. The current market has spoken. if two otherwise identical aircraft were side by side with the only difference being one has a Garmin panel and the other a Dynon Panel the vast majority of buyers would be swayed by the Garmin offering. That is public perception. I will say that the Garmin GFC autopilot is a true marvel compared to any of the competitive autopilots.

I’m a Garmin guy, but you really can’t go wrong with any of the ones you listed. I’d say Garmin first and Dynon second.
I am a DYNON guy so my recommendation is DYNON first and Garmin second. But, like the difference between high wing and low wing, this is a personal decision of what you prefer. Get a flight with each system then make the decision that is best for you.

:cool:

If you ever plan on selling the aircraft then the best choice from a market standpoint is Garmin. It's unfortunate but true. The current market has spoken. if two otherwise identical aircraft were side by side with the only difference being one has a Garmin panel and the other a Dynon Panel the vast majority of buyers would be swayed by the Garmin offering. That is public perception. I will say that the Garmin GFC autopilot is a true marvel compared to any of the competitive autopilots.

You are so true. I simply do not understand why, but you are correct. Absolutely love my Dynon and liked the G3X when I played with it. I just don't know why such a huge percentage goes for Garmin. Name recognition?

I plan to shop for a panel at Sun and Fun. I've looking at the specs online and have a general idea for pricing but it's so tough to find get a feel for some things (Do I really need the autopilot controller or would I be happy controlling it from the screen?, etc.).
I'm going to spend some time at those booth and then make a decision.

(Do I really need the autopilot controller or would I be happy controlling it from the screen?, etc.).

I wouldn't live without one. Probably press it more than just about anything. Then again if you aren't flying IFR might not be quite as needed.

I wouldn't live without one. Probably press it more than just about anything. Then again if you aren't flying IFR might not be quite as needed.
I will be flying IFR; I don't like how they look and would prefer to control from the screen but functionality will come first.

I will be flying IFR; I don't like how they look and would prefer to control from the screen but functionality will come first.

Ya it could be done but anytime ATC issues an altitude change it's probably going to get annoying to not have one. The number one most used item on my panel is the Dynon knob module followed by the autopilot module.

Advanced

Take a look at Advanced. Their Control Module is plug and play. Only harnesses you have to terminate are lights and sticks. Everthing else, Dynon or Advanced, just plugs right in. It handles power, ground, audio, digital and ARINC

I bought my airplane with an Advanced Flight dual-EFIS and autopilot, Garmin 430W GPS navigator...all about 2011 vintage. It all worked great until my legacy AFS PFD lost its ADAHRS. I opted to replace that 4500 with an Advanced Flight 5400 because it fit precisely in the same panel opening and I didn't need to re-cut the panel. Last year I sold the 430W and replaced it with an Avidyne IFD440. Everything works great together. At no point have a ever regretted my current panel. Specifically, I have never wished for Garmin glass (although I do have a G5 backup).

When installing that 5400, I had to do that by putting it onto a Skyview network and ADAHRS. So...I have an Advanced Flight EFIS, a Skyview infrastructure, Advanced Flight/TruTrak autopilot, and an Avidyne GPS navigator.

If I was starting a panel from scratch, I'd go with the Advanced Panel from Advanced Flight and use Dynon and the IFD540. Having spent WAY too much time on my back under the panel doing myriad wiring chores, the modularity of the Advanced Panel would be just too good to forego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tNAdWJWIvY

ETA: Advanced Flight is part of Dynon.

Last edited:
Plug for Garmin

I look at the various manufacturers before deciding on Garmin.
All the others seemed to have some kind of miss match, like Dynon with Garmin transponder, etc. So I went all Garmin.

I did my transition training in a Dynon RV7a. It works, but the Garmin seems more finely tuned. If you have the money, and want the best, then Garmin, otherwise the others are adequate. JMHO. YMMV

I look at the various manufacturers before deciding on Garmin.
All the others seemed to have some kind of miss match, like Dynon with Garmin transponder, etc. So I went all Garmin.

I did my transition training in a Dynon RV7a. It works, but the Garmin seems more finely tuned. If you have the money, and want the best, then Garmin, otherwise the others are adequate. JMHO. YMMV

Them are fight'n words right there John! hahaha :D

Advance Flight Systems is my choice

I had an AFS 5600 touch for 3.5 yrs on my 6A and I’ve had a G3X for the last 20 months on my RV3. The AFS is more intuitive. If I had a choice I would choose AFS. The screen has buttons all along the right side and all along the bottom. What’s the advantage? Get to almost anything with only 1 button and quick learning. Also the tech support is not only very competent but usually are able to get them on the phone on the first try. If you email them on the weekend it’s not unusual to get a response on the same day within hrs. AFS will listen to their user’s ideas and implement them. I have spoken to and sent several emails to Garmin regarding multiple improvements that should be made. For instance, I use Savvy Analysis and Garmin’s engine data log doesn’t log hobb or Tach time. It logs everything else but that and as someone who use to program, adding those 2 parameters takes less time than to email them to ask for the change. Another request is the engine data shown on the split screen. Garmin has a limited number of engine data shown where every other competitor shows all the engine and electrical info without having to go to a separate engine page.

For ADS-B In/Out, the EchoUAT is most cost effective and easily connects to any xponder with only 1 wire.

For a navigator either Avidyne or Garmin is great however Avidyne has an app that works with the iPad that mimics a second navigator so I would go with Avidyne. The cheapest navigator is GPS175 but it only has gps, no radio

As others have said an AP is darn close to being mandatory with a panel mounted head.

Whichever efis you get, get a Com radio for that efis because Com frequencies are preloaded at your destination (ATC, Departure/Approach freq, Tower and Ground freq). FYI, AFS uses Dynon remote radios. I had the panel mounted radio head which is really nice because is has a separate button for ATC, Tower, Ground, etc. It’s well worth it.

Last edited:
I have spoken to and sent several emails to Garmin regarding multiple improvements that should be made. For instance, I use Savvy Analysis and Garmin’s engine data log doesn’t log hobb or Tach time. It logs everything else but that and as someone who use to program, adding those 2 parameters takes less time than to email them to ask for the change.

Every data log file created by my G3X system contains both airframe time and engine time. Perhaps time for a closer look.

Nope unfortunately Garmin only lists the beginning hobbs n Tach time on the first line of data that requires you to go into the raw data file via Excel. Unless that has changed in the last few months those parameters are not listed on Savvy’s website. Let me know if those parameters are listed on Savvy

Last edited:
Nope unfortunately Garmin only lists hobbs n Tach time for the first line of data that requires you to go into the raw data file but it doesn’t list them as parameters on the Savvy website

I agree that G3X data log files list the initial airframe and engine time at the beginning of every log file, i.e. the beginning of every flight. That is the only way I would ever want it in my installation, as I can't imagine needing to record engine time at 1-second intervals. But the data is most certainly available, so it seems that if your favorite website is not displaying it, then your complaint is with the people who made the website, not Garmin.

I’m a garmin guy and Dynon is really the only other option. If you are going to use an autopilot the GFC500 is unequalled.

Something to note as you mentioned you didn’t like the look of the mode controllers, I often mount the GMC507 partially recessed with a backplate so its panel protrusion matches the G3X. (Do the same for the G5)

For my personal use particularly in heavy airspace the controller in heading mode allows me to “dial a direction” all the way through the congestion as I’m handed off 5 times in 15 min and avoiding hot zones and other VFR traffic. Love the knobs.

(Do I really need the autopilot controller or would I be happy controlling it from the screen?, etc.).

If you go Dynon, the autopilot control panel is required for auto-trim while under AP control. This eliminates the need for the pilot to manually actuate the trim to follow the AP’s built-in trim advice. Another reason to put it in.

Last edited:
Eventually, I’d like to add an autopilot and an ifr gps. Any help on what and where to buy is appreciated. Thanks!

To add an autopilot to a G3X you only need to add servos, so it's a lot of value for little cost. I personally added an AP control panel as many others have suggested in this thread.

If you plan to have a phased approach, you might want to consider buying the tray for your IFR navigator and have it installed with the rest of the glass. Then when you're really to buy the navigator, all you need is a big fat checkbook and an Allen wrench to complete your upgrade.

I bought my glass from SteinAir and I couldn't be happier with their service.

Take a look at Advanced. Their Control Module is plug and play. Only harnesses you have to terminate are lights and sticks. Everthing else, Dynon or Advanced, just plugs right in. It handles power, ground, audio, digital and ARINC

I am just finishing up my second AFS quick panel. If you are going for a complete panel, give AFS a call or spec out your panel on their website. AFS & Dynon customer support has been superb!

I agree that G3X data log files list the initial airframe and engine time at the beginning of every log file, i.e. the beginning of every flight. That is the only way I would ever want it in my installation, as I can't imagine needing to record engine time at 1-second intervals. But the data is most certainly available, so it seems that if your favorite website is not displaying it, then your complaint is with the people who made the website, not Garmin.

No need to complain to Savvy when every other manufacturer logs ALL the parameters. In less than a few minutes Garmin could easily add those parameters to the data string. For the most part it’s not needed but there may be times where you might want to look at engine data 6 or 12 months ago and want to easily know what the Tach time was instead of being forced to find the raw data file and load it into Excel.

So now let’s talk about something more important like having all the engine and electrical data that Dynon, AFS, and GRT all have listed on the normal split screen page without having to go into a separate engine/electrical pg. And while we are at it let’s talk about the data block at the top of G3X screen where you have limited info to display because Com, Xponder , audio info is taking up most of the data bar only leaving you 5 blocks for data

To add an autopilot to a G3X you only need to add servos, so it's a lot of value for little cost. I personally added an AP control panel as many others have suggested in this thread.

If you plan to have a phased approach, you might want to consider buying the tray for your IFR navigator and have it installed with the rest of the glass. Then when you're really to buy the navigator, all you need is a big fat checkbook and an Allen wrench to complete your upgrade.

I bought my glass from SteinAir and I couldn't be happier with their service.

Dynon, AFS, n GRT do the same in regard to adding servos and working it through the EFIS however like many have said having the AP head makes it even better

You are so true. I simply do not understand why, but you are correct. Absolutely love my Dynon and liked the G3X when I played with it. I just don't know why such a huge percentage goes for Garmin. Name recognition?

The answer is simple: “Looks sell”. Just ask any car dealer. I always thought pilots were better than that, but they aren’t (look at the paint jobs on award-winning ‘home-built’ airplanes). And there is no question, Garmin stuff looks good.

GRT

I guess I’m a contrarian. My 2010 panel is very much ‘mix and match’. A pair of GRT Hx efis units, plus a grt EIS for engine data; a Garmin (nee Apollo) SL30 nav-com, a Garmin 420W gps-com, Dynon D6 back up mini EFIS (with internal battery); Trig TT22 mode S-ES transponder and ADSB-out; Trio Pro autopilot. Everything works well together. Autopilot can ‘stand alone’ but I always control it with the EFIS screen, which is easy and intuitive. The negative: GRT stuff is very good electronically, but it is a small company of a few engineers, and it is important that you can read ‘engineering documentation’. Not a lot of hand-holding (although questions are answered promptly, usually one business day). But it’s not for everyone. But personally, I - just like 99% of the forum members - think I made the right choices for me.

I guess I’m a contrarian. My 2010 panel is very much ‘mix and match’. A pair of GRT Hx efis units, plus a grt EIS for engine data; a Garmin (nee Apollo) SL30 nav-com, a Garmin 420W gps-com, Dynon D6 back up mini EFIS (with internal battery); Trig TT22 mode S-ES transponder and ADSB-out; Trio Pro autopilot. Everything works well together. Autopilot can ‘stand alone’ but I always control it with the EFIS screen, which is easy and intuitive. The negative: GRT stuff is very good electronically, but it is a small company of a few engineers, and it is important that you can read ‘engineering documentation’. Not a lot of hand-holding (although questions are answered promptly, usually one business day). But it’s not for everyone. But personally, I - just like 99% of the forum members - think I made the right choices for me.

Another nice thing about GRT is that they are designed to play well with pretty much all other avionics brands.

Dynon or Garmin?

To me it came down to customer service. My Garmin 430W has had three comm failures, each time requiring that the unit be shipped to a Garmin dealer who then forwards it to Garmin for service. Lots of down time. Each time the "repair" cost nearly $1000. One "repair" was simply a reprogramming of the firmware and a new glass front. Still $1000.....
Dynon's customer support is superb. They only charge for the repairs needed, and are quick to respond to queries. One of the very few problems I have encountered in 13 years of Dynon usage was a failed D2. As I anticipated some IFR flying near term, they sent a loaner unit while mine was being repaired, saving the trip. If I were purchasing an existing RV, and had to choose between a Garmin and a Dynon equipped aircraft, the Dynon would win hands down.

To me it came down to customer service. My Garmin 430W has had three comm failures, each time requiring that the unit be shipped to a Garmin dealer who then forwards it to Garmin for service. Lots of down time. Each time the "repair" cost nearly $1000. One "repair" was simply a reprogramming of the firmware and a new glass front. Still $1000.....
Dynon's customer support is superb. They only charge for the repairs needed, and are quick to respond to queries.

Dynon has flat rate repair charges like Garmin, but somewhat cheaper than Garmin apparently. See the "Out of Warranty Repairs" tab on this webpage:

Full disclosure, I have a Dynon SkyView Touch suite in my RV-8 and I am happy with it. I had one problem with my SkyView Touch screen ('The Rainbow Screen of Death') and even though it was out of warranty, Dynon repaired it quickly and for free.

Last edited:

Not wanting to hijack this thread, I'd just like to point out that even Garmin's own data analysis tool, the flygarmin logbook, does not display hobbs or tach. The logbook has fields available for this but they do not auto fill upon upload of a data file.

I too find this an irritation, but otherwise the equipment is fantastic.

Back