What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glareshield

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I'm ordering a glaresheild liner,from Abby at Flightline, and was wandering if anyone with experience would know if we were to leave the leather (or whatever material) a little long would we be able to run it up the windscreen? We are trying to hide some of the fairing that can be seen thru the windscreen. Do you thing we will be able to get it to lay properly. I do believe it will be velcroed in place. We tried to add black pigment in the fairing but did not have much success. Any comments would appreciated.
Ron

Ron,

I have Abby's glareshield and I don't recommend running it up the wind screen. I'm using a black primer/filler (Mike Loehle's) on the fiberglass followed by white primer filer as part of his system. The black will give a fine defined line of black when viewed from the inside. You may want to consider a black compatible with your paint system primer to paint the outside of that portion of your windscreen.

how much needs covering

We always run a long piece of thick cording at the windhield edge of the glareshield. It makes a nice finish. I make it out of the same material as the glareshield fabric cut on the bias for flexibility. We just push it in seam side down and it stays put. I would assume Flightline interiors could do that for you if that would cover the problem.

Thanks Guy's
Rick, I understand you are priming black to help hide the glass, but why would you advise against rolling the glaresheild material up the interior of the windscreen? Do you think I'll run into problems getting it to lay properly?
I have very little experience looking at finished RV-10 in this area, hopefully I see a few in two weeks at Sun& Fun. I was there last year but at the stage we were at then I had too many things to look at.
Ron

Ron,

I made a template for my glareshield cover before installing the windscreen. Abby made a PERFECT fit right up to the inside if the windscreen. She supplies velcro to install the cover. I guess I just like the very clean look of the vinyl running right up to the plexi. I think the exposed unfinished edge of the cover running up the windscreen would look kinda unfinished. You will really like her interior...she worked with me to fit the entire set of panels to include the overhead at the baggage bulkhean, a custom armrest and my O2 outlets that are mounted within her side panels...she really did a great job although I have only test fitted the parts until the inspection is done.

I just ordered the glareshield and am having Abby add three inches. We will trim to fit and have a local make a finished edge.
Ron

Back