What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare Shield Repair

gvouga

Well Known Member
I'm trying to figure out the best method to repair my glare shield after my bird strike. I'm not sure how it got bent, but I suspect either my son or I grabbed it while getting out and kissing the ground. Anyone ever repaired something like this?

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/75689038/1/Glare Shield?h=8f4410

I can replace the top skin, but I would prefer to avoid that method for obvious reasons. I also thought about adding a thicker piece of Al in this area and forming a handle for people grab. Passengers always love to grab this area anyway. Ideally, I would like to reform the Al here so it stays in place like it's supposed to. I'm just not having much luck doing that so far due to the curve of the glare shield.

Any help would be appreciated.

The RV 10 uses a doubler with an oval cutout to make a hand hold, I see no reason why you could not get a couple of these and put them in your plane.

The crease shown in your second photo is going to be hard to get out, you may end up with a bit of waviness in the panel.

You could use a glare shield cover from Flightline interiors, would hide any small issues with the metal being distorted.

Good luck.

Ditto; Try installing a doubler sheet that overlaps the good areas on the side to straighten it out. Cover the top with a piece of vinyl or similar that suits your taste and cuts the glare onto the windscreen, then add a glare shield trim piece for the front edge. The one from Classic Aero Designs is really nice.

good luck
erich

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even consider adding a glare shield cover. This looks like a good option.

I also called Vans this morning to get some info on the RV-10 doubler. I have some ideas for this, but I would like to see the -10 design before I reinvent the wheel.

Back