What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare shield hud available.

No AOA

Too bad they didn't include an AOA indicator. To me it's a critical information I'd love to have in sight while looking outside i.e. during landing.
Maybe it.s part of the customization they advertise, but no technical doc available yet.
Interesting anyway.

Ditto

Not a hud....but clever marketing for sure.

I wish someone could do a real HUD - that would be great. I think the synthetic vision stuff has taken the focus off this technology for the light plane market.

Well, so Aveo has their Digital Flight Deck product line that I was VERY interested in 3 or 4 years ago. I was sold...until I found out that there's nothing to buy. Complete vapor-ware. I found out about them at their booth at Oshkosh, and was told it would be released in 2 months. Here we are almost 4 years later and they've got nothing but wing-tip lights.

The reason I mention this is that until they have a "real" product for sale, I wouldn't even bother considering their stuff.

The synthetic vision may not be a HUD, but I think it is an incredible feature. Add a real GA HUD and you would have some fantastic tools.

Hmmmm....

So you have some reflective mirrors, a data feed, a monochrome screen, it can't be that hard to produce can it?

By the way I communicated with Aveo and asked for a photograph of the item in a panel or out of its box. Not just keyshot images

I personally have a feeling that it is all smoke and mirrors half the time and you need to think twice before placing an order.

Will wait for their reply.

Last edited:
Yep not a true HUD

I had a friend that developed a hud for use in turbo-props. His company was called flight vision and he was based in Aurora, Illinois. He had a Grumman Tiger with a system mounted in it. The optical advances he made are what made things practical. The information was projected on the windscreen or on a small angled glass positioned on the glare shield. The optics were focused at infinity so it was in focus no matter where you were looking. He used a Motorola 68K processor system for the data crunching. His company was eventually bought by a Canadian Avionics company and, as they say, the rest is history. I still have a picture of the HUD in the Tiger on my office wall. With todays processing power it would be easier but the real trick is still the optics.
YMMV
Paul

Yep, these days the electronics aspects of designing a HUD are easily handled. The tricky stuff still is the optics (or so it seems to me, but then again I'm an electronics guy and not an optics guy).

It should be focused to infinity so that the pilot can truly view the projected graphics as one with the view outside, rather than shifting to a near focus as one has to do to view a conventional display on the panel. The projected graphics should also be viewable while the projection surface still sufficiently transparent under any lighting conditions from dark night to direct sunlight. And finally, to be practical for us GA guys (as opposed to a military jet) it should be lightweight (let's say under 5 lbs), compact (preferably a shallow/flat installation on top of glare shield), and inexpensive (let's say no more than a few kilo-dollars). That's a tall order, but I think it's achievable.

For some time now I've had various ideas on implementing a true functioning HUD for the RV. But realistically I know I won't get around to it for a while. Still have a year or two to finish up the airplane first and get it in the air. Then with a functioning testbed, the electronics projects begin!

As for this product from Aveo, calling it a "HUD" is just plain silly. As others have pointed out, it's just a bolt-on extension that makes the instrument panel taller. Are they kidding? How embarrassing...

I remember reading about a "real" HUD that projected the info on to the back of the spinning prop, but can't find it now.

Automotive guys have it

I have a friend with a new camera and it projects stuff onto the windshield, like a HUD. Seems like if they can mass produce it for a chevy it wouldn't be too hard to solve for us.

GM "HUD" system

Below is information on a company that was setting up a "GM" HUD system that is used in the Grand Prix/Corvette and he converted it to "KNOTS" from "MPH" and even had a couple other items working such as Oil Pressure. The whole unit would have sat on top of the dash of an airplane and you would look through the glass like a fighter type HUD. I thought it was a good idea and a good starting point until someone could add "Attitude" references to it.

Looks like he closed down the web site.

JRL developed the Heads Up Display (H.U.D.), named "KNOT-VUE", because it provides a constant display of AIR SPEED. JRL developed the unit using an after market automotive GM Delco display similar to the one installed in the Grand Prix Pontiac. The KNOT-VUE ? H.U.D. does not take the place of any aircraft instruments, but is a complement to those instruments (just as it is in the Pontiac). It is a reference display that provides valuable information about air speed, the most valuable flying parameter.

An article in August 98 issue of KIT PLANES titled "Using statistics to stay safe" is a sobering one. Pilot-Inducted Accidents like stall/spins 23% + bad landings and ground loops 20% + loss of control 13% + low altitude 7% + pilot error 5%=63% of these accidents can be related to air speed or the lack of knowledge thereof. Fatal Accidents like stall spins 31% + loss of control 13% + low alt. Maneuvering=57% can be related to air speed or the lack of knowledge thereof. With a "in your face H.U.D.", like the KNOT-VUE?, keeping your head outside the cockpit while maneuvering, with real time knowledge of air speed, can help avoid accidents.

JRL's KNOT-VUE? H.U.D. has been bench tested against a calibrated Rock Mountain Instrument u/ENCODER. KNOT-VUE has been flight-tested and checked against GPS air speed and has been accurate within + - 1 knot. Repeatability is good. A patent is pending for the pressure sensor board.

JRL's KNOT-VUE ? H.U.D. weighs about 8 oz. complete with a Black Plastic Enclosure, fold-down Refractor Lens and Pressure Transducer Board. The H.U.D. is all solid state electronics requiring 12 volts, 3 amp. circuit. The display projects the images on a flip-up Refractor Lens, which is positioned in the line of sight (vue) of the pilot and in front of the windshield. The image looks like it's floating outside the windshield on the engine cowling (an optical illusion). KnotVue? Heads Up Photos

Our Data Sheets provide some sample options a builder can apply with the KNOT-VUE? on his project. JRL chose the Delco as it's base unit because national Delco repair shops carry spare parts and can repair the displays. JRL has not determined the KNOT-VUE? cost at this writing, but they expect it to be substantially less than competitor products providing less features than JRL's KNOT-VUE? particularly since it is not JRL's bread and butter income. JRL's CEO is using the KNOT-VUE? during flight testing of his KR2 aircraft .

Information is still out there

I decided to do the google search for Flight Visions and found this link with information about the system I remembered from back in 1986. There is also a lot of aftermarket automobile huds available. I think the electronics that is available now could easily handle the system interconnects with the CAN bus or ECAN protocol. A whole boat load of microcontrollers that support CAN and have integral analog to digital converters. I have a goal of getting something like this together after I finish up my very slow build project. Forgot to say Flight Visions is part way down the page and the picture of Midway Airport is from the Grumman with the HUD in it.

http://www.aviationweek.com/shownews/nbaaday1/hardwr15.htm

Maybe its time for a section where we can pool ideas.
Paul

Back