What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare shield air vent

LyleM

Before I put the electronics in the panel on my -8, I’m trying to decide if I want to put an air vent hole in the top of the glare shield or not. I won’t have any GPS antennas or anything else mounted on the glare shield. From your experience, do you think an air vent hole cools the electronics and acts as a windshield defogger? Thanks

I put in two computer fans. I don’t use them often but on cold humid mornings they work great to clear the fog on the inside of the windshield.

Bevan.

I put in two computer fans. I don’t use them often but on cold humid mornings they work great to clear the fog on the inside of the windshield.

omg I never thought of that.

That might have been handy last weekend.

- mark

Attachments

• fog.jpg
    fog.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 71
I installed a single glare shield vent centered on the windscreen. Made a mount on the underside for the highest CFM computer fan I could find that operates in the 12-14 volt range. It draws less than an amp of power. This was not so much for avionics cooling (most new avionics don't generate that much heat) but more to circulate cabin heat up from the sole cabin heat vent that blows on your feet. In addition to acting as a defogger, the warm air goes up the windscreen and flows across the canopy to the rear seat. This is a bonus for the backseat rider as I'm sure you already know, it tends to be a lot cooler in the back seat of an -8.

Attachments

• IMG_4214.jpeg
    IMG_4214.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 69
Where to get it

Carlos 151
Could you show the link or the name of the company where you got the fan? Thank you.

Carlos 151
Could you show the link or the name of the company where you got the fan? Thank you.

I seem to recall that I purchased it on NewEgg after looking at many and comparing the specs. My fan is about 9 years old now so that exact one is not likely in production anymore but I'm sure you can find a comparable one with a little effort. Like I mentioned before, I narrowed down the choices by selecting fans that ran at 12-14 volts that could be wired directly. Then I compared the CFM capabilities and then I chose a higher end fan that had ball bearings. I'll see if I can find the spec sheet for my fan when I get home. Pretty sure it's an 80mm fan.

Carlos 151

Here's a picture the specs on the case fan I got. 119 CFM provides quite a bit of airflow. I'm sure you can find a comparable fan. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_6156.jpg
    IMG_6156.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 43
Back