What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting tired

Ron B.

Well Known Member
We , (four of us partners) purchased the tail kit in Feb 08 and this July we brought a completed, non flying RV-10 to the paint shop. It's a local AME and his son has been painting aircraft . They have been doing a good job without a proper paint booth. This summer he purchased a used booth that he was going to have to dismantle , repair a few things and install in their hangar. Two of our group, myself included flew to New Brunswick to help with the disassembly. The place was a disaster, trash everywhere, a ceiling/floor built after it was installed, giving practically no roam to undo the bolts. We were not sucessful in our one day trip and left with only half. I could see if we wanted our 10 painted this year we would have to step up to the plate and get things moving.
Three of our group made the ferry trip over to NB. without the painter this time and finished the task. A week later we desided to help install the booth in his shop. We completed all the placement of the panels and placed the booth where it would had to go. We thought that in July this booth would be up and running. It still had to be wired, lighting installed ,the ventilation hooked up , sealed and painted.
Well, it got completed about a month ago, and maybe a couple of weeks of work done on the 10. He had been playing with the 10 before the booth was complete as he waited for an electrician and different parts.
Our group is a group of doers, hense the Feb.08 to June 09 slow build. There is talk of bringing her home to complete? It appears that building an aircraft is a hobby and anyone for hire on such a project has the right to break a promis. In our area, there is no such thing as an answer " we are too busy and can't help you". It's "bring it up and we get right on it". Once it's in their posession they move on to the next project.
Just venting for now.

Painted mine myself....Took 2 months (and we weren't smoking and joking!) plus some time later to finish the pants. A bunch of work but my paint job cost me just shy of 4k to do. The only person I could complain to was myself...God knows I was a pain in the butt customer to myself:D

I had a friend help me who had done several cars as I had also...Airplanes are MUCH more work and some may take on the project thinking it will be easy...Trust me...REAL aircraft painters earn every cent, if not in the proper equipment and facilities then for the hours of prep to make the aircraft ready. I have 5 colors on my RV-10...I also know why the more colors the bigger the price!!!:p Now that it's finished I'm pretty darn happy, but there was at time or two at midnight while cleaning up I felt like I shoulda kicked my behind for taking that part on..

I know it takes time. Myself and one of my partners, each built a Super Cub replica and finished them in 2006. I painted both of them. I would paint a set of wings and then the other. He helped prep everything but 99% of the priming and painting I accomplished. My point was that if someone visited once a week they would see some advancement, I would not have to point it out. On top of that, I still had a business to run that I went to every day, mind you I did not stay there all day. I would work evenings and weekends that I don't expect our painter to do.
At the rate he's progressing, no exaggeration it will be spring. We were promissed early this fall.

There is a big difference between a professional airplane paint facility and all the rest. If you pick anything but a professional aircraft paint facility you are probably going to be VERY frustrated. You may save alot of money and you may be satisfied with the final result, but...... well I think you unfortunately found out.

Back