What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting into VANs 2- Seaters

Lepley

On 19 June I posted “RV-10 Build Decision”. VAF was great. I got many terrific responses. However, I started this quest thinking that the -14 was the perfect fit for me but my wife struggled to get into it. Zach, at Vans East had a -10 and my wife jumped in and declared “this is THE plane”. After all the VAF help and my research, the -14 is still looks like the better fit for me. Has anyone found a better way for us stiff old fogies to get into VANS 2-seaters?
Larry

On 19 June I posted “RV-10 Build Decision”. VAF was great. I got many terrific responses. However, I started this quest thinking that the -14 was the perfect fit for me but my wife struggled to get into it. Zach, at Vans East had a -10 and my wife jumped in and declared “this is THE plane”. After all the VAF help and my research, the -14 is still looks like the better fit for me. Has anyone found a better way for us stiff old fogies to get into VANS 2-seaters?
Larry
If mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy. Sorry, couldn’t help it. Sounds like she has made her choice. It won’t get easier to get in as time passes.

The RV-14 has a lower cockpit rail than the three other RV side-by-sides, so it a whole different ball game than the RV-6/7/9. As mentioned, however, getting out is harder than getting in. If OP's concern is his wife's preference, she's already given him the answer.

I’ve posted this before as an idea that could be flushed out. My Morgan Super 3 cockpit sides are about the same height as the 6. They have a “bar” mounted just below the front seat cushion allowing you to place your heel on the bar and slide in, or push out. The bar is at an angle which doesn’t show well in pictures, so your heel will not slip off. Very stable. IMG_9277.jpegIMG_9278.jpeg
It still requires some flexibility to get your leg over the cockpit side, but it works well instead of stepping on the seat. It would also allow you to put in a custom arm rest as an assist.
Not sure this will help if you can’t swing your leg over the side and into the cockpit.

I had to smile at this comment. For those of us in our eighth decade building upper body and core strength is not the option that it was forty years ago………you’ll understand in a few decades. 😉
I was just telling one of our 14 year old grandkids today that “age is just a number”, ya….right.

Also depends on what part is difficult. There's getting on and off the wing, and there's getting in and out of the cockpit. The getting in and out part can become easier with practice & technique, e.g. knowing where to grab, and getting both feet on the seat first vs. trying to get a foot on the floor first which some novices seem to want to do.
But for getting on and off the wing, a little folding stool like this can make a big difference.

A slider version of whatever model gives the benefit of the roll bar centre brace... at least this is what I preach my eventual pax and my self to use.
Grab the brace on entry and on exit first, then lower or pull your body in or out...

The hard but worthwhile solution......Start exercising and building your mobility, upper body strength, and core strength.

While this answer seems cold and crass, it is a difference for me. Years ago I travelled to see some builds, the fellow (maybe Carl Froehlich here) took me to sit in a neighbors 10. It was a struggle. I gave up on the idea of Vans.

A couple years ago I started moving more, joined an exercise studio, have added in 35# weight loss in 2024. Had a Vans factory tour, sat in a 14, then demoed a 10 with Zach. Whole new experience, now totally obsessed.

When I climbed into the factory RV-14A for the first time (the only Vans I've been in) the only thing I found difficult was getting in without stepping on the seat. Is this why the rest of you find it difficult or do you just step on the seats?

I may get a "thowable" boat seat cushion and step on that to get into my -14 when I'm done building. Easier on the seat heater elements and foam and doesn't get the leather dirty.

When I climbed into the factory RV-14A for the first time (the only Vans I've been in) the only thing I found difficult was getting in without stepping on the seat. Is this why the rest of you find it difficult or do you just step on the seats?

I may get a "thowable" boat seat cushion and step on that to get into my -14 when I'm done building. Easier on the seat heater elements and foam and doesn't get the leather dirty.
I keep a small towel that I lay on the passenger seat to help others get in and out. My legs are long enough to allow me to put my foot next to the stick getting in or out. I have been able to get a few folks with mobility issues into my 14A. Getting them out has been a bit more of a challenge. 🙄

I had to smile at this comment. For those of us in our eighth decade building upper body and core strength is not the option that it was forty years ago………you’ll understand in a few decades. 😉
That's what we tell ourselves Sam. I have proof to the contrary with resistance training. While we lose muscle mass at a % each year past 40, we also don't help the situation by not eating enough proteins and combining that with functional movement. Example....we tell ourselves oh I'm in my 50's 60's ,70's, our metabolism slows down with old age. Nope....we just slowed down and started moving less.

That's what we tell ourselves Sam. I have proof to the contrary with resistance training. While we lose muscle mass at a % each year past 40, we also don't help the situation by not eating enough proteins and combining that with functional movement. Example....we tell ourselves oh I'm in my 50's 60's ,70's, our metabolism slows down with old age. Nope....we just slowed down and started moving less.

I understand what you are saying but it seems you have discounted physical conditions that may allow a "mature" individual to safely operate an aircraft but have mobility problems. Let's face it......getting into and out of RVs, especially taildragger tip-ups can be challenging for some folks who otherwise make it through their daily routines. The taildragger tip-ups require upper body and leg strength since there is no grab bar to assist getting out of the seat and feet moved under the body. I recently installed an armrest between the seats as a prop for egress due to advancement of joint issues in shoulders and knees.....and less upper body strength. Could my condition be improved with a rigorous regime of exercise and diet? Possibly, but that wouldn't stop the calendar pages from continuing to flip. :)

I am blessed to be in fairly good condition for my age, active (two brisk miles five days a week), able to do pretty much whatever I wish and not obese. But getting out of my RV-6 is a different challenge than it was 25 years ago when I started flying it. Some prospective RVers are dealing with physical limitations that can't be overcome by lifestyle routines and these individuals have to consider ease of entry and egress now and in years to come. For them an RV that doesn't have doors may not be a practical choice.

P.S. I step on the seat going both ways and allow passengers to do the same.

I understand what you are saying but it seems you have discounted physical conditions that may allow a "mature" individual to safely operate an aircraft but have mobility problems. Let's face it......getting into and out of RVs, especially taildragger tip-ups can be challenging for some folks who otherwise make it through their daily routines. The taildragger tip-ups require upper body and leg strength since there is no grab bar to assist getting out of the seat and feet moved under the body. I recently installed an armrest between the seats as a prop for egress due to advancement of joint issues in shoulders and knees.....and less upper body strength. Could my condition be improved with a rigorous regime of exercise and diet? Possibly, but that wouldn't stop the calendar pages from continuing to flip. :)

I am blessed to be in fairly good condition for my age, active (two brisk miles five days a week), able to do pretty much whatever I wish and not obese. But getting out of my RV-6 is a different challenge than it was 25 years ago when I started flying it. Some prospective RVers are dealing with physical limitations that can't be overcome by lifestyle routines and these individuals have to consider ease of entry and egress now and in years to come. For them an RV that doesn't have doors may not be a practical choice.

P.S. I step on the seat going both ways and allow passengers to do the same.
Very True Sam. Btw, I have loved reading your travels in your RV6 over the years and that combined with your aviator RV build knowledge. I should have my 9 ready for first flight by end of year.

Coming in late but i'll point out that getting in and out starts hard, but gets a bit easier quickly as you get better at it. Later on it'll get hard again if you age and don't exercise to keep up with aging... As was pointed out.

Exactly. Even more reason to start moving more. Preferably with resistance. My mom is 74....taking yoga and slowly making progress. She feels like a new person. It doesn't have to be done all at once and its never too late
True but no matter what you do, time takes its toll. You are kidding yourself if you think differently…

Another data point: my Dad is 81 and still actively instructing in J3 Cubs.

Towel on the seat and step on it, yes. I'm surprised that anyone does it any other way with a -6/7/14. Or at least expect it of their pax.

Towel on the seat and step on it, yes. I'm surprised that anyone does it any other way with a -6/7/14. Or at least expect it of their pax.
I do keep a towel in the plane for that purpose, but rarely remember to use it. Since I knew that passengers and I would be stepping on the seats, I chose leather upholstery. They clean up well, and without much effort.

I do keep a towel in the plane for that purpose, but rarely remember to use it. Since I knew that passengers and I would be stepping on the seats, I chose leather upholstery. They clean up well, and without much effort.
My experience as well with high quality Oregon Aero seats. Leather has worked for cows for a long time. They clean up just fine too…..

Larry
My only suggestion is that one needs to do a bit of exercise to strengthen ones upper body

Back