What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting inspections and EAA tech counselor visits

aparchment

Well Known Member
I haven't turned to the FARs yet but was hoping to learn when I need to have my work inspected. Do I need to use the FAA or will an EAA tech counselor do. If the answer is too lengthy and you would like to point me to the FARs, please feel free.

Thanks.

Antony
(newby 7A builder)

No requirement

Believe it or not, in the U.S. no inspections are required at all before the final airworthiness inspection! In the past, you used to get a discount off your insurance (with certain carrier(s)) if you had three EAA Technical Counselor visits during the course of construction. I don't believe that applies any longer, but double-check me on that.

If you're an EAA member and a first-time builder, I highly recommend having a TC come by and check your work. It's a real confidence builder to learn how good a job you really are doing, and it never hurts to find out how you can improve.

In my opinion, the best time to have an EAA Technical Counselor check your work is right before closing things up for good. For example, in the case of an HS or VS, you'd have the skeleton riveted together, and the skin would be either riveted on partially (still able to open to inspect) or just ready to rivet on.

You pay your EAA dues, you may as well get several EAA TC visits if you can! Just my 2 cents.

)_( Dan
EAA Technical Counselor
EAA Flight Advisor
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Canadian inspections

In Canada you need sub assembly and pre-cover inspections before your final inspection. The are performed by MDRA(Ministers Delegates-Recreational Aviation) staffed by volunteers.
I can attest to the piece of mind in getting your inspections out of the way. The inspectors provide you with an educated eye to review your work and confirm you will have a quality aircraft when you are finished and provide guidance if needed. If you can, have your work inspected and keep pounding those rivets.

Philip Mercier
RV-4
Abbotsford BC.

Antony!!!

We have a guy in southern New England (Connectucut actually) who buzzes around in a Thorp and just LOVES to do Tech Counselor visits! His name is Joe Gauthier and he will fly to Maine to see your stuff. Just tell him I sent ya! He is also an ABDAR and he will be doing all my inspections through the final signoff.

He needs to stop by and see Wicked Stick's and Thermos' projects anyways (near me), so either on the way to or fro... he could see you?

Mebbe I will fly up there then too?

:D CJ

Great idea!

Hey John:

That's a great idea! Perhaps you guys could pay me a visit. I suppose I could also load one of the Hstabs or the Vstab in a plane and come down to you. Either one works for me.

I have been avoiding EAA only because I associate the airport at which they are based locally with a bunch of officious old guys who do more arm chair flying than actual flying :-O I should join and see what really goes on.

Antony

Well, lemme tells ya...

Experimental aviation in New England is VERY hit or miss! Most conservative New Englanders are comfortable slugging around in certificated spammers. They got the loot to throw at a spammer, have someone else maintain it and buy a new one when they want one.

Sooooo NOT ME!

Anyhow, the EAA Chapters around here are pathetic! The one that I am a member of, and soon to be the VP of... is an ULTRALIGHT CHAPTER!!! (I hate those things!) Another story for another day.

Join the national organization so that you can take advantage of Joe. Maybe join my pathetic little www.eaaul62.com one later. I am assembling a fast metal airplane contingency that will soon be the driving force in the chapter.

We will come up and see you. I am sure that we can get a bunch of builders and pilots into the Cherokee Six for a trip up north!

Maybe this WX will be conducive to a leisurely VFR trip some weekend soon!?!

Keep in touch!

(Finishing my Fuse inventory)

hmmmm.......

John,
When I bought the RV4 last winter. Joe Gauthier flew the Thorp up to Nashua periodically and checked me out in my own plane ! So, you can add CFII to his other capabilities. One stop shopping :).

Your comments on EAA chapters represent something I have been thinking about lately. It sometimes seems like the actual building of airplanes is secondary (at best)......

John

John,

Indeed... Joe is a great guy!

Perhaps you would like to come down and chat sometime. We have a -4 in out "contingeny"!

:) CJ

It would be hard to find anyone better than Joe Gauthier. He is well know in EAA circles and is also an AB DAR that can do the final inspection on the aircraft.

I am in California and know about Joe Gauthier's FANTASTIC reputation.

Gary

Captain_John said:
Antony!!!

We have a guy in southern New England (Connectucut actually) who buzzes around in a Thorp and just LOVES to do Tech Counselor visits! His name is Joe Gauthier and he will fly to Maine to see your stuff. Just tell him I sent ya! He is also an ABDAR and he will be doing all my inspections through the final signoff.

He needs to stop by and see Wicked Stick's and Thermos' projects anyways (near me), so either on the way to or fro... he could see you?

Mebbe I will fly up there then too?

Back