What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting in and out of the tip up!

WJONES

Ok, I guess this only applies to the tippers out there. I'm currently working on my 9A fuselage and have decided to install some of those beautiful Classic Aero leather seats. A big concern of mine is getting in and out of the cockpit without messing up the seats by stepping all over them with dirty/muddy shoes, etc. I've flown in many sliders and have used the roll bar to manuver somewhat (still seems like the seats take a beating) but with the tip up it's not that stable. Any suggestions?

Wes Jones
RV-9A - Fuselage

I'm not at that stage yet and was wondering the same thing. In the Grumman Tiger I've flown, the seat cushion isn't fastened in the front, and you can tip up the bottom cushion with the toe of your shoe, and slide that shoe under the cushion and on to the bare seat bottom. Then swing your other foot in and on to the floor while holding the forward part of the canopy. Then you just sit down. Don't know if the RV cushions need to be fastened in the front or not.

Hope this helps.

Rag

Hi Wes,

For the first few months I'd take my shoes off before getting in - then I'd put my shoes back on in the plane.

Then for years I opened up a rag and left it on the seat (when I got out of the plane). I'd step on that while getting in, then roll it up and stow it between the seat and side of the fuse. Shoes on.

Now I just get in with shoes on. I clean the seats with a leather cleaner every few months.

With your left hand on the side rail and your right hand on the top of the passenger seat you can get in pretty easily.

B,
D

WJONES said:
Ok, I guess this only applies to the tippers out there. I'm currently working on my 9A fuselage and have decided to install some of those beautiful Classic Aero leather seats. A big concern of mine is getting in and out of the cockpit without messing up the seats by stepping all over them with dirty/muddy shoes, etc. I've flown in many sliders and have used the roll bar to manuver somewhat (still seems like the seats take a beating) but with the tip up it's not that stable. Any suggestions?

Wes Jones
RV-9A - Fuselage

Easy: FLY NEKKID. :p

No shoes, no problems!

It's possible for us airpark dwellers. Step out the kitchen door, open the hangar doors, go fly. From couch to cruise in ten minutes.

Whoa...too much coffee this morning...

You can get in and out of the tip-up side-by-side RV by stepping on the spar, not the seat.

Hey Dan,

Stepping on the spar (between the seats) is a good idea, however I thought it would be nice to put a map box or something between the seats to give you something to push off of when getting out. My buddy flies a 9A slider with a map box and it really helps. I guess once you get everything in place you just have to find something that works!

Wes Jones
RV-9A - Fuselage

Towel covers

My wife found nice towels that matched the seat color, cut them out in a U shape to exactly match the bottom seat cushion and took them to a tailor and had the edges mended. Looks nice and fits the seat exactly so we step on them getting in and out... Total cost including the tailor was about $30.

Left hand, left side rail, right hand, roll bar, right foot over seat cushion, left foot over seat cushion, slide down.

I have the classic areo seats

I keep a small towel and have used it some times but my usual process is:
From wing - right foot to between seats (behind fuel selector.
Move weight over to right foot (right hand and weight on roll bar).
Left foot to top of gear weldment (9A model).
Lower weight along roll bar and seat back until down (left hand on side).

Reverse the process to get out.

The seats are great, but the shoulder seat belts don't seem to have a good routing around that nice headrest. I have talked to Luke at classic aero about some way to route them better and am going to fly down to have him brain storm how to manage them better (I am only 30 miles north of him).

I think that some kind of bunge cord to hold them in position would work.

Kent

Wrong way.

Try the 'unnatural' way.
Step in with left foot first and place it straight on the floor and follow with the right.
I'm only 5'11" and fairly solid at 87KG (=200 US Kilo Carrots)
Pete.

WJONES said:
Hey Dan,

Stepping on the spar (between the seats) is a good idea, however I thought it would be nice to put a map box or something between the seats to give you something to push off of when getting out. My buddy flies a 9A slider with a map box and it really helps. I guess once you get everything in place you just have to find something that works!

Wes Jones
RV-9A - Fuselage
I wasn't talking about between the seats. I'm talking about in front of the seat cushion. Guess it depends on where you mount your seat backs. Mine are in the aft-most position.

Back