What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gentle Aeros

eddieseve

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I took my God daughter Lauren up yesterday for some basic aeros, she was pretty nervous so we limited maneuvers to just aileron rolls and wing overs.

I think the smile after the first maneuver says it all...

This was shot using my new Gopro Hero 3 Black edition, video quality is fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlaaNtHRi-o

You'll have to forgive the crappy landing at the end :)

Cheers

Eddie,

Do they require chutes in Australia with a passenger while doing acro? I honestly don't know.

v/r,
dr

PS: The reason I ask: http://www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm (4th bullet point on the right hand side). Dozens of I.P. addresses resolve to FAA headquarters each day here. I'm sure a few of the feds in Australia are looking also.

Last edited:
Hi Doug,

Looking at the CAAP and CAR, the only requirement besides placards in the aircraft to identify that the aircraft has demonstrated capability during the flight test period and of course that I have had the appropriate training and endorsements, and that a proper 5 point harness be fitted to the aircraft, so as far as I know parachutes are optional.

Also none of the training I have done with different aerobatic flight schools ever used parachutes either?

But just in case I am happy if you take the post down.

Cheers

[ed. Thanks for the clarification, Eddie. I know in the USA they require chutes, but I honestly don't know anywhere else. v/r, dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Eddie is correct, No requirement. I have never been required to wear one during my own training and at my local flight organisation (who operate at the highest standard) chutes are not used for any aerobatic flights including hardball s2 pitts joy flights.

Note that in this country a turn at greater than 45 degree angle of bank is considered an aerobatic manoeuvre so if they were required every student pilot would need to be fitted up.

Also, I'm told you will fail your CPL flight test if you are talked into demonstrating a steep turn if the aircraft is outside the weight, category envelope.

Hi Doug (Gray),

Where are you flying out of in Sydney?

I am about to move down to Wedderburn in about 3 weeks, currently located at Cessnock

Cheers

Eddie

Great video. Bad landing?? After 300+ in my six I can still bounce one in with the best of them every once in a while. Seems to be no ryme or reason or warning. feelin great...... looks good...... BOING!!!

Especially with a pax, more aft CG sets the whole dynamic towards the bounce. Part of the fun of tail draggin I guess.

Have fun - looks like you are. Be safe.

Thanks Gary,

I seem to oscillate between great one week to, oh well better go practise some more the next :)

Cheers
Eddie

Back