What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gearleg and intersection fairings

rvdave

Well Known Member
The RV 10 gear leg fairing seems to be designed to "float" on the gear leg and relies on the intersection fairings to keep it in trail to the gear leg but is always contacting the wheel pant since there is nothing to suspend it upward. This is different from my rv6 fairing where a tab is created which allows a clamp to go around the leg capturing the fairing. Is this an issue long term at the wheel pant/ fairing contact point? Should the fiberglass be built up at that point?

Basically that's what happens. I ran a rubber edge strip around the bottom of the leg fairing that rests on the wheel pant. No wearing issues in 600+ hours.

More...

Is there any indication of scuffing or scraping on the leg fairing by the intersection fairing?

I am trying to determine if there is relative motion between the leg fairing and intersection fairings...

I wrapped a small amount of clear Teflon tape at the point of contact where the leg fairing moves against the intersection fairing. It's barely noticeable and protects the paint on the leg fairing. The fairing is going to move every time you land and put weight on it.

Back