What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear legs

Nick,

Check your plans. If the part number starts with a "7" the are unique. If they start with a "6" then it is a common part.

Note how your fireall starts with a "6", same part for the -6, -7, & -9.

If you are talking about the taildragger RV6 and RV7, then the gear legs are the same.

The Nose Draggers have different gear legs.

When you say the main gear legs are quite a bit longer on the 7A, you mean when compared to the 6A right?

The -6(7) taildragger is the longest of the three.

Correct...

....an easy way to recognize a -6A from a -7A is that the -6A's stab hits your belt and the airplane points slightly skyward, "Please, fly me, fly me:D" and the -7A's stab is at your chest.

The best,

Several come to mind, Mike

The visibilty in a -7A/-9A is better while taxiing, but not by much.

The other point is that the -6A has to have a nose high flare in order to NOT land on all three wheels at the same time......probably Van has reasons,

The best,

The visibilty in a -7A/-9A is better while taxiing, but not by much.

The other point is that the -6A has to have a nose high flare in order to NOT land on all three wheels at the same time......probably Van has reasons,

The best,

Makes sense.

Longer legs for the 6/7 would be good for fully stalled 3 pts but taxi viz would terrible.

Jim Sharkey

Nose Gear question

Since the 6A sits kinda nose up does it share the same length nose gear strut as the 7A and 9A?

Does the 6A have an updated 1 1/4" thick nose strut?
Thanks
John

I'm sure someone will chime in with more detail, but the nose strut is identical for the -6A and the -7A. The -6A main gear is shorter, which makes the ground attitude different.

The 6A, 7A, and 9A all have the same nose gear. It is the same part number.

The 6A does get the newest revision of nose gear just like the 7A and 9A.

It is not actually 1 1/4" as stated, It is 1.125 just below where it fits into the engine mount. This is the area that I think the previous post was referring to.

The 8A has a unique nose gear to itself.

They all have unique main gear. The 8A and 9A are very similar, but not the same.

Wondering

if I could install 6A MAIN gear legs on my 7A to lower the step up? My wife is handicapped and would really like to fly more. I already have steps both sides of course. Getting in and out of the 7A is a challenge.

Having flown a Mooney quite a lot, the nose high ground attitude would feel a little more natural to me anyway...

Sorry, it is not possible to just interchange gear legs. The 6A's are smaller in diameter than the 7A's where they slide into the fuse.

Hi TERRY...

if I could install 6A MAIN gear legs on my 7A to lower the step up? My wife is handicapped and would really like to fly more. I already have steps both sides of course. Getting in and out of the 7A is a challenge.

...I occasionally fly with an amputee and we use a small, fold-up stool so he can use his good leg to get on the airplane's step.

Regards,

I forgot about my post.

Is there a consensus that the RV6&7 (not "A") are identical? Don't want to mislead. My project is a Wittman, not an RV. Thanks

Back