What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Leg Movement

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Hi To All
Yesterday was a milestone for me. I installed gear legs and wheels, and now she sits on her own..I like it. The right leg was a nice tight fit. I was
surprised when I installed the left leg. It slide in much easier. Way easier. After bolting the left leg I grabbed the lower portion and there was movement of the leg in the leg mount..

No movement at all on the right, and probably 1/8" or slightly less on the left leg. After further investigation the measurements of the leg mount indicated between .004"-.006" larger than the leg itself. That is why there is movement.

I have talked to Vans and they are going to talk to there engineers today. It seems like the left gear mount should be replaced. Has anybody experienced this?

Never seen this, but I agree with the conclusion. New gear leg mount.

You might also try swapping gear legs and see if the problem follows the gear leg or mount. You don't have to pin it, but can check for play.

Last edited:
I don't envy you if you have to replace the mount. I converted a TW to an A model and had to install the two mounts in my 9A. It was quite a job with everything in the way. It was more the weird positions I needed to get in than the actual work, but it did take a couple hours to get them in.

Jesse's idea is good - check to see if it is the leg or the mount. Maybe you will luck out and it be the leg!

I have already remove the mounts once so I could insulate the floor. It was a time consuming job, but like anything it is doable. I am still waiting for Vans response and will let you all know by tomorrow. My bet is they will send another mount, I hope.

Update

Update,
Vans has agreed to exchange the mount for me. They did say that it was in tolerance though. It's now removed and in the mail.
Thanks Van's
Craig

Back