What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear leg installation

Wolf

Well Known Member
The next step after installing the motor mount on the firewall is insertion of the gear legs. It’s not possible as the bottom corner of the fuselage and fire wall interfere covering about a third of the hole. Have other TD builders experienced the same issue? Is this normal? I’ve emailed support at Vans twice to see if this is normal or if I have the wrong motor mount but I get no response. I don’t want to do any cutting unless I know this is normal.

Jay

Well, I can only speak for the RV-7, but I believe it shares the same fuselage with the 9. And yes, I seem to remember there being quite an interference there. You have to file away the interference from part of the bottom skin as well as the firewall. I'm about to head to the airport to help my buddy put his cowling back on after his RV-7's annual condition inspection, so I'll double check on his how much had to be removed. If you don't have some additional corroboration in the next few hours, I'll report in later.

The next step after installing the motor mount on the firewall is insertion of the gear legs. It’s not possible as the bottom corner of the fuselage and fire wall interfere covering about a third of the hole. Have other TD builders experienced the same issue? Is this normal? I’ve emailed support at Vans twice to see if this is normal or if I have the wrong motor mount but I get no response. I don’t want to do any cutting unless I know this is normal.

Jay

Check your plans. The RV-6 plans called out the need to relieve this area.

Check your plans. The RV-6 plans called out the need to relieve this area.

No mention of it in the RV-9 plans

On the RV7 you have to relieve that area because the firewall flange and skin are in the way. Can't remember if it was in the plans or the written instructions.

Last edited:
I did this on my plane a few months ago. I eyeballed through the gearleg and drew a circle, cut inside it with a jigsaw from the bottom from both sides so it was more of a V-shape, then finished with a file and 2" scotchbrite wheel in a die grinder. I was happy when I could put a straight edge into the gear socket and it didn't touch the fuse lower lip.

Yup. Both my bud's and my RV-7 had to have a little sheet metal removal in that area. The stainless steel firewall grinds slowly. It looks like we have about an 1/8" clearance between the skin and the gear leg...maybe a little less. Take your time and don't try to remove too much at one time.

Back