What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Leg Fairings

BlackRV7

Well Known Member
OK, back to asking construction pictures: the instructions call for one to cut the gear leg template out and "position the trim template over the fairing using the molded-in scribe lines". I see the scribe line location on the drawing and the reference to "this point 3 7/32 from scribe line" on the drawing but what is the deal with the molded-n scribe line. I take that to mean it should be present on the leg fairing.............and there are no molded in scribe lines on the fiberglass gear legs. What gives? Where do I position the template to start making cuts?

Thanks

Dey ain't der

You're correct, there isn't any. Use the template and cut. You'll still have to do some cutting. Don't cut too short on the lower end. Not a big deal.

I've got a -7A. I cut the template right out of the plans sheet and draped it around the fairings where it looked about right, marked it with a sharpie and cut. I had some minor trimming to do to allow for the brakeline down toward the wheel.

Hopefully, you'll install the intersection fairings which will coverup both ends, anyway. Build on.

Mike

Which end?

It was never clear to me on the 7-A whether to cut from the big end or the little end. I chose the big end (trim the small end) in the unsupported belief it would be better streamlining. That caused too tight a fit with the Fairings Etc. pre-made upper intersection fairing. Just a hint.

BlackRV7 said:
OK, back to asking construction pictures: the instructions call for one to cut the gear leg template out and "position the trim template over the fairing using the molded-in scribe lines". I see the scribe line location on the drawing and the reference to "this point 3 7/32 from scribe line" on the drawing but what is the deal with the molded-n scribe line. I take that to mean it should be present on the leg fairing.............and there are no molded in scribe lines on the fiberglass gear legs. What gives? Where do I position the template to start making cuts?

Thanks
Dana,
Take lots of pictures and remember all the minut details so you can lead me thru the process. I've got my engine and panel completely wired. I'm ready to start with the cowling. What thickness material did you use on the firewall flange for mounting the cowling and how wide did you cut it?
Charlie, RV-7, Tucson

cwreeves said:
Dana,
Take lots of pictures and remember all the minut details so you can lead me thru the process. I've got my engine and panel completely wired. I'm ready to start with the cowling. What thickness material did you use on the firewall flange for mounting the cowling and how wide did you cut it?
Charlie, RV-7, Tucson

Charlie, will do. I used .045, decided to go a little thinner in hopes of keeping those lower flanges from stress cracking. Since I used non floating skybolts on the bottom I went with one inch overlap. Keep going, I can already tell it's going to worth it.

Gear leg fairings

As mentioned, there is no molded in scribe line. Thus, the positioning of the template cannot be determined. The uncut main gear fairings are considerably longer than the template. So there is the question of locating the template along the length of the fairing. So, How do you position the template before cutting ?

As mentioned, there is no molded in scribe line. Thus, the positioning of the template cannot be determined. The uncut main gear fairings are considerably longer than the template. So there is the question of locating the template along the length of the fairing. So, How do you position the template before cutting ?

Trim, fit, repeat.
Upper gear leg to fuselage fairing and lower gear leg to wheel pant fairing will adjust for slight variations in gear leg fairing trim.

Last edited:
Back