What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear leg fairing upper attachment

wcalvert

Well Known Member
Anyone out there in builder land found a "good" solution to the tabs called out for by Vans. As designed it is two tabs on the fairing itself that are attached to the upper end of the gear rod with a hose clamp. Works great until the 1000th+ landing cycle takes out the tab.

Problem is that there will be movement between the upper and lower fairing, and the gear fairing either twists (not) or moves inside the fairings (some), but fixing the top end really transfers all that load from the motion to the top attach. In reality, this upper attachment only keeps the fairing from sliding down the leg. I'm about to redesign it to allow the leg fairing to float and not be a fixed at the top or bottom.

There is probably someone out there who is mid test on a better mousetrap...

Clamp

Anyone out there in builder land found a "good" solution to the tabs called out for by Vans. As designed it is two tabs on the fairing itself that are attached to the upper end of the gear rod with a hose clamp. Works great until the 1000th+ landing cycle takes out the tab.

Problem is that there will be movement between the upper and lower fairing, and the gear fairing either twists (not) or moves inside the fairings (some), but fixing the top end really transfers all that load from the motion to the top attach. In reality, this upper attachment only keeps the fairing from sliding down the leg. I'm about to redesign it to allow the leg fairing to float and not be a fixed at the top or bottom.

There is probably someone out there who is mid test on a better mousetrap...

Mine hasn't flown but I did gab a different solution.
Review this thread.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=208997&highlight=Gear

Had a great talk today with David Howe .. we both agree that letting the fairing float and not attached fixing it's motion top or bottom is the way to go, and has proven itself over decades of flying on his Rocket. His solution showed me the way to another idea that may work out. That's how EA should work!

I'm designing a thrust bearing/busing type assembly that should allow that movement. Testing in the works soon.

Cheers

David Howe

Had a great talk today with David Howe .. we both agree that letting the fairing float and not attached fixing it's motion top or bottom is the way to go, and has proven itself over decades of flying on his Rocket. His solution showed me the way to another idea that may work out. That's how EA should work!

I'm designing a thrust bearing/busing type assembly that should allow that movement. Testing in the works soon.

Cheers

He's the man with the plan. He gave me an awesome tip today too.
Post your solution please

Back