What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear leg fairing alignment

Sig600

Well Known Member
I keep reading the section in the gear leg fairings before I get started, and for the life of me I can't quite wrap my brain around what it's telling me to do. I understand the string part, but where is it telling me to square those up in the back?

Anyone know of a build log with pictures? I'm a pictures person.:confused:

Look at last or next to last page on my fastback thread. I cant post pics right now. Basically it is an imaginary point. Drop a plum line from the gear then meassure from that spot on the ground to the center line. After that, measure from the ground to the center of the gear leg. Transfer that point to a board or something else. I set up two lines. One at the top of the fairing and one at the bottom.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=789291&postcount=247

Last edited:
gear leg fairing and stiffener

I put the wood stiffeners on the RV6A gear yesterday with resin and flox. I wrapped a total four layers of fiberglass cloth tape, two in spiral up and two down. The final thickness is such that the fiberglass main gear fairings can be put on and closed, but the fairings are tight. This was done with the gear and plane off the ground. When the plane is on the ground and when it lands, the gear will flex. Will the tightness of the fairing cause a problem as the landing gear flexes?

Use RV bits

If you are planning to buy gear leg/wheel pant/fuselage transition fairings .... I would buy now and use them to help align the leg fairings. I used "RV bits" and found them to be better alignment tools than the string method. Also ensures the bits will fit well with little or no trimming. Helps get the leg fairing and the wheel pants correct.

Hey! How's that build going, yip, that is where I drilled a hole through my finger.

Check the feb 5, 2005 entry here: http://www.vx-aviation.com/rv-9a/Tips.html

This was also reprinted in the now defunct rvator.

119_2000_1.jpg

Back