What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gathering tools

LuisR

Well Known Member
I'm picking up a CH 5HP 26 GAL compressor today off craigslist for 175 bucks. That leaves me with the table vise and aircraft tools left.

What size vise should I get?

I initially wanted the planetools tool kit. Since this is gonna be a very slow build so I don't need the pneumatic squeezer or any tools to speed things up.

I'm leaning more toward the browntool deluxe kit. What should I add to the kit that I need? I'm going with 3x drill.

This will also save me a grand I can put toward the wing kit.

What are your thoughts?

I have a 5" and would not want anything smaller than a 4". Also a good idea to get a set of soft jaws to go with it.
Ron

Tools

I have the pneumatic squeezer, and have been on the slow build track too. However, the squeezer saves alot of strain on the arms and wrists. Don't look at it from the speed aspect, but the convenience of it. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I also have a CH compressor. I bought it new, had it repaired twice under warranty, got it replaced under warranty once, and eventually banished it to the hanger to get it out of hte way and bought another make of compressor. 3 other firends have owned CH compressors, and all have scraped them. Buyer beware.

Eric Kallio
N518RV Canopy installed, time to install the panel.

The pneumatic squeezer is

a must have tool. Along with the Tungsten Bucking Bar. Two of my favorite tools. Try and get a 60 gallon compressor. A 5 inch vise; the plastic vise jaws are 9 bucks at Lowes a couple of magnets hold them up.

Do you have a hand squeezer? Those work for doing dimple work on ribs as well as squeezing rivets. A pneumatic squeezer holds it value and you can sell it for close to the purchase price when the project is done.

The problem with a 26 gallon POS CH is it will be constantly running when your drilling, squeezing or riveting. Get something that has capacity like a 60 gallon at Aircraft Home Depot.

Expect to spend serious cash on required tools. This will make the build more enjoyable and the motivation is maintained when you have the tool for the job. Sure, you can delay some things like an Longeron Yoke but eventually, you will have to buy or borrow one. Have a budget of 5 to 6,000 for tools and equipment.

Ebay

If you are a certified scrounger, then ebay can be your friend.
You can create a shopping list by reviewing the tool kit contents lists from Vans, Brown, Cleveland etc. They vary somewhat.

I made 3 purchases and wound up with WAY more tools than a "kit" purchase including some "nice to haves" such as extra air drill, gazzilion clecos, buckets of new drill bits, rivet fan and many more items.
Saved enough to buy a DRDT2 within the cost of a "tool kit"

I respectfully disagree with the position that a pneumatic squeezer is a requirement. I think it is a personal choice. A manual hand squeezer (Tatco for instance) will do fine for many people. Whatever you choose, get one with replaceable jaws and plan on having a selection of jaws.

AND YES, 4" vise would be my recommended minimum.

Last edited:
I initially had a little 3" vice mounted on my work table, but there are some tough jobs that definitely require a larger vice. I ended up getting a 6" table vice from Lowes and it has handled every task so far. I'd recommend at least a 6" table vice.

Also, my 26 gallon has been adequate. Runs a lot when spraying primer or using the cutoff tool, but for riveting, it is great. Everyone recommended to make sure and get an "oiled" one versus the "oil-free". The oil-free ones are very loud. Inevitably, someone will move into the hangar next to you with an oil-free one though! :0

Last edited:
Tools...

My CH compressor is with oil and belt driven. How do I change the oil and what type of oil is used? How often does the oil need to be changed.

I guess if I feel the need, an additional inline tank will do.

Didn't think to use eBay for the tools due to it's specialty.

5-6 grand on initial tool or after all is said and done?

Thank you all for the responses. So I guess the " tool kits " are complete enough to start the tail since no one really mentioned specific tools to add the kits.

Manny

My CH compressor is with oil and belt driven. How do I change the oil and what type of oil is used? How often does the oil need to be changed.

5-6 grand on initial tool or after all is said and done?

The more frequently your compressor cycles the sooner you'll want to change your oil. Now, seeing that you only spent $175 on this thing, it hardly owes you any thing so changing oil every two years is likely plenty. They make specialty oils designed especifically for compressors, but lots of folk run 20 weight motor oil. Some compressors come with a lower oil drain some smaller units are top load only. Unbolt and tip over to drain, remount then refill.

Regarding tools: 5-6 K$ should get you most of the most desireable tools including at pnematic sqeezer. (don't buy junky import tools - you will recoupe most of your cost on resale)

Go with a two axis vice. Fileing parts and being able to adjust the pitch will save you some pain after you've been filling for 5 minutes straight in the same position. 6" jaws are ideal. Soft jaws are essential (black rubber)

Oh and just a "heads up", don't run any extension cords off of your compressor, it'll mess up the motor,(they really don't like to run at 90 volts) ...run extra air hose if you have to.
regards

Last edited:
Starting with the RV tool kit from Avery tools is a good place to start. It will have all the tools you must have, then add things like the pneumatic squeezer.

Pat Stewart

I haven't had much luck with multi axis vise, if you put a lot of force pulling on something they tend to slip. With the rigid vise, you pull opposite to the vise and it will have to break before your piece moves. But this problem will only occure under severe use.
Ron

Back