What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gaskets

Brambo

Well Known Member
Being new to this whole engine thing, I have to ask what is probably a pretty basic question. When installing something with a gasket, should the gasket be kept dry, or should you but oil or some other compound on it?

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

depends which gasket :) eg. magneto gasket -- install it dry. most others, I put a thin coat of Fuel Lube.

RTV will swell up in the presents of oil and heat. Probably break free and plug up the oil galleries. There is an AD out world wide for any engines that a local engine shop overhauled because he used RTV in them. This AD was issued by Transport Canada. The guy is no longer in business. He did him self in when the FAA and TC started after him for all the crappy work he had done over the years. One of his engines quit on me over Montana four years ago on the way to KOSH. Fortunately there was an airport several miles in front of me and the landing was successful.

Norman is correct. I've personally pulled strings of RTV from the oil pickup screens of two engines. Fortunately, in both cases the blobs were large enough not to go through the screens. If they had been a bit smaller, they could have caused an inflight engine failure.:(

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I would have ever considered putting RTV on a gasket, but it does bring up and interesting question about fuel lube. Since fuel lube is designed not to dissolve in the presence of fuel or oil, is it possible to get small pieces of fuel lube in the fuel or oil system? If so, what would happen?

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

Back