What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator Screw Access Hole

jet

The MM makes mention of a hole in the Nose Landing Gear attach frame to access the inboard aft screw holding the gascolator bowl. I do not have such a hole in the NLG and Vans has advised to drill a hole to fit. Wondering if anyone did receive a NLG frame with such a hole.

John s/n 317

Gascolator

I removed mine with a thin screwdriver inserted in one of the existing bolt holes (bolt removed first obviously). I had to grind down the screwdriver tip to fit through the hole.

Cheers...Keith

Yes, but

the hole is on the wrong side of the nose strut. I ask Ken Scott what it was for but he did not know why they put a hole there. The only reason I could think of was that they put it on the wrong side. Can you give me the Van's reference to drilling a hole for that sde.
thanks

Gascolator location

The original plans called for locating the gascolator on the pilot side of the nose strut. But it did not fit very well there.
Joe

the hole is on the wrong side of the nose strut. I ask Ken Scott what it was for but he did not know why they put a hole there. The only reason I could think of was that they put it on the wrong side. Can you give me the Van's reference to drilling a hole for that sde.
thanks

The hole is intended to simplify access to the screw for the gascolator bowl.

A batch of gear legs were modified during production (already in the production process when the design change was made).
Apparently the hole was accidentally added to the incorrect side.

If you have a leg with the hole on the wrong side, just add another hole in the same location, on the correct side (the updated production version will have a hole on each side to make sure the hole never ends up on the wrong side).

If you have a leg with no hole, contact Van's Tech Support. They can E-mail you a drawing depicting the proper location for the hole.

The original plans called for locating the gascolator on the pilot side of the nose strut. But it did not fit very well there.
Joe

I think the only error related to the gascolator was that the fitting was depicted on the incorrect side....
The gascolator it self was always on the right side.

My bad memory

I think the only error related to the gascolator was that the fitting was depicted on the incorrect side....The gascolator it self was always on the right side.
You are correct. My memory is not so good.
Joe

The hole is intended to simplify access to the screw for the gascolator bowl.

A batch of gear legs were modified during production (already in the production process when the design change was made).
Apparently the hole was accidentally added to the incorrect side.

If you have a leg with the hole on the wrong side, just add another hole in the same location, on the correct side (the updated production version will have a hole on each side to make sure the hole never ends up on the wrong side).

If you have a leg with no hole, contact Van's Tech Support. They can E-mail you a drawing depicting the proper location for the hole.

Thanks Scott, I was planning on drilling the hole after certification but looks like I can do it now.:D

Back