What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator on RV-10

n700jl

Well Known Member
Just installing fuel lines in the tunnel and I noticed that there is not a standard place for a gascolator on the -10! Is anyone running one or did you just go with the factory setup? Thanks!

Factory set-up

I went with the factory set-up with no gascolator. The fuel tank drains are the lowest point in the system so that is where the water will settle anyway.

Eric Kallio

I am aware of at least one DAR that insists on having a gascolator in any airplane he inspects. The argument that Van's plans do not call for a gascolator apparently does not sway him.

Last edited:
This RV10 installation shows where I placed mine. Note also the inspection hole in the floor of the fuselage to aid in service.
URL=http://img24.imageshack.us/i/img0270bo.jpg/]
img0270bo.th.jpg
[/URL]

Gascolator

Dave Maib is correct. I built two RV's and the DAR insisted on gascolators.
By the way......Canada requires them.

I am aware of at least one DAR that insists on having a gascolator in any airplane he inspects. The argument that Van's plans do not call for a gascolator apparently does not sway him.

Can you PM me on this/these DARs? Clearly, any DAR with such a position is operating on autopilot and does not believe in the rational of the kit designer nor gravity. This is a DAR I would prefer to avoid.

Like Canada, a gascolator is required in UK. However, the authorities there have approved a mod whereby an Andair unit can be fitted in the tunnel in place of the normal fuel filter. As previously pointed out, the tank drains are at the low point for water drain. Effectively, this makes a filter which is easier to service.

A rare attack of common sense :eek:

I added the gascolator do to the rules in Canada. It is hard to find a lower spot than the fuel drain in the wings for a water check in my opinion. I bet for all the people that have found water in the fuel, it was in the wing tank and not in the gascolator. Where is the water going to settle on a taildragger? I still have never found water in the fuel of any aicraft I have flown. Maybe it is just luck as I am sure one day it will happen and I will be glad I always check. I really wish we did not require the gascolator on the injected engines in Canada as it is just another place for failure and I think that is more risk on safe flight than the safety the gascolator is suppose to provide.

The problem with a gascolator is that most people believe that the only thing it is good for is to remove water (as if that were not enough!) It used to be called a sediment bowl, and as such it can give you an early warning of fuel contamination.
It is rare to find water when I sample my tanks but yes I have found a drop in the gascolator even though it is not as low as the fuel drains.
I would not have a fuel filter in my system that could not be sumped and I suspect that there are not too many certified aircraft that would either.

gascalator

tom martin is correct, in my opinion. I believe the standard Van's plans for a filter is a maintenance trap. Also, i do not believe in putting any kind of strainer or filter on the suction side of the boost pump.

warren arter

Gascolator

I purchased an RV 10 last year and the gascolator on mine is on the firewall on the right side about 2/3 the way down from the top of the cowl.

I just did the annual this weekend and their was a little sediment in it and on the screen. It was fairly easy to get at except for the far screw nearest the firewall.

Doug - N19JZ

Back