What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator for RV-10 necessary?

No right answer

There is probably no right answer to your question but I'll give you my opinion.
Lets just say most builders are not installing gascolators anymore including me on my RV-10 and my previously owned RV-8.
You'll find more gascolators on carbureted engines and since most if not all RV-10s use the fuel injected IO-540 most will not have gascolators.
Much has been written about the need for gascolators but the short answer is you do not need one but you might find a reason why you want one.
In a fuel injected installation you would definitely want a fuel filter somewhere in the fuel supply and be sure to drain the wing sumps and check for water before every flight.
A gascolator installed even on the lowest spot on the firewall would be higher than your wing sumps and not likely trap any water. Its function would simply be reduced to filtering fuel. There are better spots to install fuel filters
such as the tunnel as suggested by Van or underneath the seats or in the wing roots.

In the UK, a gascolator is mandatory. However, as pointed out, the lowest point is at the bottom of the wing root and the drain traps any water.

We have approval on the -10 to fit an Andair gascolator in the tunnel and delete the fuel filter. It makes cleaning the filter much easier having to just remove the bowl rather than undoing and remaking pipe connections.

img4172b.jpg

img4171r.jpg

Back