What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator Extension Parts

647jc

Well Known Member
I'm using Vans standard aluminum gascolator and quick drain. If I screw the quick drain directly into the gascolator it will be difficult to access, several inches up into the cowl. I would like to add an extention for the quick drain so it will be just above the bottom of the cowl. I know a lot of builders have done this but I cannot determine exactly what fittings I need to order. Could someone help me with this, I really need exact part numbers (Aircraft Spruce or Wicks) rather than just a description of the parts.

Thanks,
JC

Isnt it just an 1/8" npt port on the bottom? Sounds like you need a 1/8" NPT pipe nipple in whatever length will get it close to your cowel, and a 1/8" NPT full coupler. I would be carefull if you plan on extending it too much, vibration may rattle such a skinny tube enough to crack it if its too long. Perhaps secure it with an Adel clamp, or use a short piece of -3 or -4 hose and hard mount the quick drain on its own mount.

Gascolator Extension photo...

JC,

Check out my web page http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a055.htm and look at photo number five from the top of the page. I pulled the drain valve from the blue gascolator and went to ACE Aviation Supply (Ace Hardware) to the plumbing section. I knew how far BELOW the cowl the drain would be placed, which meant a smaller notch in the cowl for fuel sampling.

I selected a double female "union", then picked a short pipe nipple to give me the clearance I needed below the cowling. There are two more photos you need to see near the bottom of this web page: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a062.htm

That should give you what you need to get the parts.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ 200.9 Hobbs hours.
www.n2prise.org

Hole in the cowl

Personally, the idea of a long, unsupported pipe filled with fuel hanging off the bottom of the gascolator would concern me. You're creating a lever that will increase the effects of vibration. The day it falls off is the day you get to test your firewall.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just make the hole in the cowl big enough to stick your sumper through? That's what I did. I covered the hole with a stainless pop-off cap and painted it the same as the cowl. Works great.

Tried it both ways

I started with just the drain valve in the bottom of the gascolator on my -6 (Van's gascolator in stock FWF kit location), and just used an access hole in the cowl. Later, I added an extension as discussed in the previous post, with a pipe nipple, etc. After using that a while, I went back to the original setup. I wondered about the 2-3 extra joints (leak sources, though unlikely), the extra weight hanging on the end of the gascolator, and I also considered whether there might be scenarios where a forced landing or the like might leave the gascoilator intact but damage the lower-hanging extension, with potentially major fuel leak/fire as a result.

This is probably one of those "do it either way and get on with it" items, this is just how I ended up deciding it.

the gascolater is not close to being low point in fuel system so i just use the tank drains and ck the gascolater when i have bottom cowl off. you have to use the electric pump to get any fuel to drain out of gascolater anyway. i did pull the bowl and ck it fairly often during first 25 hours. fwiw fred

I built an extension tube, carefully supported and tied to the firewall, so that I can stick the sampler probe through a tiny hole to drain it. I was so proud of this clever installation - and it is pretty much useless, because the gascolator won't drain unless the electric fuel pump is on anyway. I sump the tanks each flight, and drain the gascolator only when the cowl is off, so I might remove the extension and eliminate a potential (yet very remote) failure path next time I have things opened up.

Paul

Back