What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator bracket on QB

Oldgeezer

An important building tip, I recently discovered after calling Van's , there is a reinforcing bracket (part # VA-161) that goes on the cockpit side of the firewall ,to stabilize and mount the gascolator. This is not called out in his fuselage instructions nor on the plans. You need plans page OP-28 to show the specifics. This would definitely pose a problem installing the bracket , if you already have the rudder pedals in and top skin on, making access difficult. Thankfully, I caught it in time.
Oldgeezer
RV9A QB Fuselage

Gascolator V Airflow Filter

At the risk of starting a war, I am skipping the gascolator and putting in an Aero Performance fuel filter (sold by Vans and Spruce). This was recommended by my ECI rep/A&P Robbie Attaway who I plan to buy an engine from. He claimed lots of problems and old school technology with the gascolator, vs this filter. Also easy to check and clean. Just my .02.

Rick A
Plans OP-28 is in the firewall forward kit. It shows the gascolator reenforcement bracket and other fuel and oil hose installations forward of the firewall. You can order a copy of OP-28 and OP-27A from Van's for $3 each and the bracket. I started to install the bracket and believe it would be almost impossible to do if you have already closed that area up. I'm using a carbeurated engine. If you are not using a gascolator it is probably not a problem, Give Van's a call, I talked to Ken
Oldgeezer
RV9A QB

Back