What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin vs advanced?

RNB

Patron
I fly with g3, 750xi, gfc500 ap
‘looking at a plane with advanced 5600 series equipment and dynon ap.
how easy might the transition be?
what are ongoing expenses with dynon and advanced databases like compared to garmin?
how easy are database updates? I’m searching for videos in a few minutes.
what are the pros and cons of making a switch?

thank you.

what are ongoing expenses with dynon and advanced databases like compared to garmin?

thank you.
I’ve flown both and don’t think you’ll have any problem transitioning. Haven’t maintained both, so I’ll let others comment on expense/ease etc.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Garmin autopilot. It currently works fine, but I’ll soon be installing my THIRD set of servos, and I still don’t know why. 🤣

Reactions: RNB
I’ve flown both and don’t think you’ll have any problem transitioning. Haven’t maintained both, so I’ll let others comment on expense/ease etc.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Garmin autopilot. It currently works fine, but I’ll soon be installing my THIRD set of servos, and I still don’t know why. 🤣

thank you.
I have flown behind both and transitioning will not not take long at all. The capabilities and feature sets of Garmin is way ahead of Advanced so I kept finding myself disappointed that those niceties are not available or possible.

Reactions: RNB
As long as you have a flexible mind and learun the new system, I’d agree that transitioning isn’t a big deal. I routinely pop between all of the different EFIS manufacturers, and all the primary stuff is usually in about the same place for flying.

For databases, should be close to a wash - many don’t realize that VFR aviation databases for Garmin G3X are free now. IFR, well….you’re going to be paying Jepp or Garmin no matter whose EFIS you’re looking at.

Back