What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Terrain Warnings

Walt Shipley

I have been flying my RV-12 now for about 60 hours and so far I haven't figured out how to mute the terrain audible warnings when coming in for landings. I've read the Garmin GPS 496 manual the the Dynon D180 manual, and haven't seen any way to silence B....'in Betty, other than just
turn her off in the pattern.

Any help will be appreciated.......

Walt Shipley

One way...

I have been flying my RV-12 now for about 60 hours and so far I haven't figured out how to mute the terrain audible warnings when coming in for landings. I've read the Garmin GPS 496 manual the the Dynon D180 manual, and haven't seen any way to silence B....'in Betty, other than just
turn her off in the pattern.

Any help will be appreciated.......

Walt Shipley

You will not hear the terrain warnings if you flip the little toggle switch on the intercom to "Iso"...

Hello Walt,

There is a page that allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the terrain warnings to suit your preferences. Please see "Setting Up the Terrain Page and Alerts" on page 39 in the GPSmap 496 Owner's Manual for further details.

- Matt

A quick shortcut to adjust the unit's volume overall while in flight is to tap the power button once. You will then see two adjustment sin the pop-up. One is for brightness (up/down) and one is for audio volume (right/left).

Like g3xpert expertly said, you can also change the relative audio level (relative to the XM radio or traffic warning or what have you) by choosing high, medium, etc relative volume for terrain.

Back