What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Pilot App PIREP?

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
Now that the Garmin Pilot app has been out for a few months does anyone have a PIREP on it? They advertise it to be very similar to their 4/6/796 products. Is this true? I know the problems with the Ipad in the cockpit but im looking for just the App itself Is it dependable? Reliable? or just go with a 96 product?

-David

Darn would love to read it but im not currently an AOPA member, membership ran out while I was gone :(

-david

It's "similar" in that if you've used an x96 or Aera product the UI will be familiar. But after playing with it for an hour, I have to say that I'm disappointed. If you're hoping that Garmin has duplicated a 696 or even 796 onto the iPad screen, you will be disappointed too.

Of course, if they did make a full-functioned Aviation GPS app, they'd rob a bunch of their sales of the standalone units. So I understand their business reasons for not doing that, even if I don't agree with them.

Darn would love to read it but im not currently an AOPA member, membership ran out while I was gone :(

-david

Did you try to go the site: forums.aopa.org ? You should still be able to get to the forum and read the threads even as a non-member, you just can't post. The thread in question is under the Flight Bag sub-forum.

Back