What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX327 rubbish

Capt

Well Known Member
Anyone out there had a Garmin 327 TX die on them? I’ve had two now that are dead in the water! Oh my kingdom for a quality product!🤮

Keep in mind these are pretty old units, not sure when exactly they came out, but I expect many are 25+ years old.

I have a 327 that was working fine when it was taken out for a GNX375 upgrade. It’s available in Sydney if you need/want a replacement.

Makes me wonder if there isn’t something wrong with the antenna setup since you’ve lost two.

You can still purchase new units today….25 year old tech for sure.
Maybe "new old stock" but this unit is no longer available from Garmin.
I've tested hundreds of these units, failures are extremely rare, although they do need adjusting occasionally.
Perhaps your electrical system or tray installation is causing issues?

Last edited:
Make sure there is air cooling to the rear port. Heat is a killer. Also, had a failure with a GDL82 in series with
the 327 . Not really sure the GDL82 did the 327 in, but alwayts suspected it.

Whilst I can’t be 100% sure there’s not a tray issue but I’ve pinned out the plug and power is getting to the unit, confirmed by another 327 unit quickly racked from a mates plane, that fires up ok. I don't have a heater in my Vans machine and operate in a coolish environment, doubt heat is creating issues. I’ll not put another Garmin unit in it, I’m done with that brand, just hate the thought of rewiring with a different rack installation ahead of me….sob sob.
Thanks for the comments guys👍

…… I’ll not put another Garmin unit in it, I’m done with that brand, just hate the thought of rewiring with a different rack installation ahead of me….sob sob.
Thanks for the comments guys👍
I’m happy with the Trig TT22. Main box remote mounts so, depending on where it ends up, wiring can be physically easier than behind the panel. There is a small panel mounted controller, or, some EFIS boxes (GRT or Dynon) can do the control function, saving the panel space. It’s also mode S-ES so can be used, in the US, with a suitable gps for adsb-out. I’’m not sure of Australia’s requirements for adsb.

The 327 is a great unit. You either have some other issue killing the transponders, or just some bad luck.

Thanks for the reply guys, I’ve decided to not fit another Garmin product, I’m kinda done with them!
You could always install a 25yr old King KT76A and see how well that works, however I warn you my pile of old King transponders is huge compared to the 1 or 2 bad Garmin units I have in my avionics junk yard.
Wonder how many 25yr old appliances you have that still work?

You could always install a 25yr old King KT76A and see how well that works, however I warn you my pile of old King transponders is huge compared to the 1 or 2 bad Garmin units I have in my avionics junk yard.
Wonder how many 25yr old appliances you have that still work?
Unfortunately that will not be an option that is available to him because in Australia it is a legal requirement that any new or replacement transponder must be mode S ES. ;)

Trig TT21 or TT22 would be a good choice if OP doesn't want Garmin and there is a service centre in Australia.

Last edited:
Back