What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTR 205x and 205xR Now Available (7/16/2024)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good Morning!

Garmin is pleased to announce two new slimline radios for the experimental aviation market, building upon the recently introduced GTR™ 205 COMM radio series for certified aircraft. The panel-mount GTR 205x and remote mount GTR 205xR COMM radios have the same feature set as the GTR 205 radio plus new intercom and audio features. The 1.35-inch GTR 205x matches the bezel height of previous-generation radios, similar to the SL30/40, enabling easier upgrades and diverse installation opportunities in space-constrained instrument panels. Of note, in contrast to the GTR 200/20 series, the 205x and xR include the ability to configure 8.33 kHz COM spacing.

These models serve to transition from the GTR 200(B) and 20 to a new generation of hardware. If you are planning an instrument panel build, we strongly suggest planning these models into your equipment list in place of the previous generation of radios.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Good Morning!

Garmin is pleased to announce two new slimline radios for the experimental aviation market, building upon the recently introduced GTR™ 205 COMM radio series for certified aircraft. The panel-mount GTR 205x and remote mount GTR 205xR COMM radios have the same feature set as the GTR 205 radio plus new intercom and audio features. The 1.35-inch GTR 205x matches the bezel height of previous-generation radios, similar to the SL30/40, enabling easier upgrades and diverse installation opportunities in space-constrained instrument panels. Of note, in contrast to the GTR 200/20 series, the 205x and xR include the ability to configure 8.33 kHz COM spacing.

These models serve to transition from the GTR 200(B) and 20 to a new generation of hardware. If you are planning an instrument panel build, we strongly suggest planning these models into your equipment list in place of the previous generation of radios.

Thanks,

Justin
ok I have the GTR200B. What are the differences between the two in layman's terms and what would push one to go from said to the new model

I had the same question as eavila1 above. The only feature that is additional to those in the GTR 200B that I see is additional aux inputs. Am I missing something?

ok I have the GTR200B. What are the differences between the two in layman's terms and what would push one to go from said to the new model
The 200B radios were recently discontinued as a result of parts obsolescence. There is no reason to switch from the GTR 200B if you already have one.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

Do you know if Van's is planning to switch to the GTR 205X vs the GTR 200B for the RV-12IS avionics kits? Is it pin for pin compatible?

Good Morning!

Thanks,

Justin
The 8.33kHz COM spacing is a nice addition so I'll definitely put this radio on the list. Do you have any plans to do a remote mount NAV/COM version?

Back