What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTN650. RF squelch

Re: RF Squelch on GTN 650 750

Tim,

Let me explain by example: Imagine you are miles out from your destination airport and want to pick up the ATIS, you tune that in and you don't hear anything, but you push the squelch button and now you can hear the broadcast, faintly but broken. If you decrease your RF squelch, you increase the sensitivity level to "break" squelch, so you will hear the broadcast from further away, but the quality might not be ideal. If you increase the RF squelch, the COM requires a stronger signal to break squelch, so you will need to be closer to the broadcast point. Too little RF squelch could mean that you pick up things that you don't necessarily want to hear, like a distant airport that is using the same Unicom as the airport you are flying into.

Hope that helps.

Tim

Tim,
I wonder why you are asking this question.
I just installed my GTN650 and during initial flights I had the RX break squelch at random times. Very annoying. I went into setup and moved it from 0 to about 68. This stopped the nuisance squelch breaks. Seems the factory setting is very low. I have not had a chance to do a good job of checking yet as I may now have it too high but I have not missed a local radio call yet.
I also had to move the sidetone volume way down.

Same thing with me. I increased my squelch up 5 at at a time and for my setup, 15 stops the random breaks without any perceived penalty in reception.

It was very annoying at zero. Unicom freq's were continually breaking squelch.

Gt

Tim,
I wonder why you are asking this question.
I just installed my GTN650 and during initial flights I had the RX break squelch at random times. Very annoying. I went into setup and moved it from 0 to about 68. This stopped the nuisance squelch breaks. Seems the factory setting is very low. I have not had a chance to do a good job of checking yet as I may now have it too high but I have not missed a local radio call yet.
I also had to move the sidetone volume way down.

I was not sure what it adjusted for sure but had a idea. Mine was set up at 80%
Flying over west texas wanted to make sure did not miss anything with atc
I now have it set to 40%
Tim

Frustrated

Where do I find the squelch adjustment? I have a GTN650 that has the same issue but can't find anything in the manual other then turning the squelch off by pushing the volume knob in.

You will need the Installation Manual section 6.
It is in the Configuration. Specifically the Com configuration page.
Hold the Home button when you power on to get in Configuration.

Back