What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GSU 25 location RV -8

Best location for Garmin GSU 25 in RV-8

• Bolted to the GDU - had to move it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SgtZim

Well Known Member
Hi all, I'm finding mixed information about mounting the GSU on the GDU.

That seems the most simple way to go - and the -8 has to have the most rigid instrument panel as it's one of the smallest.

What are some of the successful alternate locations you have used?

Last edited:
I assume some folks had issues mounting to GDU ???
Hoping this location is OK, that's where I intended on mounting this week.
Maybe Walt will chime in.

GSU 25

I bolted mine to the GDU. I would like to add to the poll but I am still building and won't know how it performs for a while.

Rich

I assume some folks had issues mounting to GDU ???
Hoping this location is OK, that's where I intended on mounting this week.
Maybe Walt will chime in.

I have never mounted the GSU25 to the GDU460 for 3 reasons:

1) Primary reason, Access: you will have to remove the P-S and AOA lines and 2 more plugs to remove the display, this is a bad design for maintenance. This is especially a problem on the RV8.

2) The panel is not that rigid, bulkhead or shelf mounting the GSU is much more solid than the instrument panel.

3) Heat, the GDU has a fan to help keep it cool, adding another heating device to the back of it will inhibit that process (the behind panel temps in TX can really elevate on a closed aircraft sitting on the ramp).

Last edited:
Here one pic from an RV8 shelf I built...
(this one had the radio stack on the right side)

IMG_5296_zpswg0veu4t.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the picture Walt! Really good to see how others have approached these problems.

I thought that the nearly ideal location would be near the center of the main spar - pretty much at the center of mass for the whole plane, great isolation from most vibration, but I don't see a way to do that neatly and not be in the way. One of the forward faces of the gear towers is another possibility? And I like Walt's shelf - looks very stable.

I hope we continue to get more input from 8 drivers. Thanks!

Back