What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X - Vertical Power integration pics

MCA

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We have been working with Garmin and making very good progress on the Garmin G3X and Vertical Power VP-X integration. We?ll also show the VP-200 integration in a picture below. In a nutshell, we provide a software interface, and Garmin adds software code to its EFIS to support the display of information provided by Vertical Power (same with our other EFIS partners including Advanced Flight Systems, GRT Avionics, and MGL Avionics). It is similar to the way the G3X integrates with an external autopilot, for example.

Garmin recommends a two-screen system as shown below so that you have the full screen on the MFD to show relevant information.
G1.jpg

The VP-X page on the G3X MFD looks like this:
G3.jpg

By the way, these are actual screen shots, not mockups. The trim and flap position indicators use data that comes from the VP-X so you simply wire the trim servos (and flap indicator) right to the VP-X and the calibrated position data is sent to the G3X.

When a circuit fault like a short circuit occurs, an alarm shows on the PFD:

G4.jpg

You then rotate the rotary knob on the MFD to show the VP-X page. Then press the rotary knob and it automatically selects the faulted device. The soft keys now show the ON/OFF/RESET buttons. Just like an old-fashion breaker, you can leave it as-is or press RESET to reset the circuit.

G2.jpg
................... ->
G21.jpg

You can scroll to any device and turn it on or off using the soft keys, which will override the regular switch on the instrument panel. Also you can move the trim and flap from the screen as a backup to the regular switches.

G6.jpg

The VP-200 integration is very nice as well. The G3X sends engine, GPS, and airspeed data to the VP-200, and the G3X displays mode of flight (just below the airspeed tape) and trim/flap indicators and amps.

G5.jpg

I need some clean shorts now (and money!). Thanks.

Come on dynon, you're falling behind.

THREAD DRIFT WARNING!!!

MCA,
I was showing the VP stuff to some airplane owner buddies, and everyone was impressed until one of the guys commented "looks like a Jesus bolt to me, what happens when the red box fails?" I had no answer... couldn't find anything on your website. I guess the same could be said for an alternator.

Does the Garmin have a battery back up?

Last edited:
MCA,
I was showing the VP stuff to some airplane owner buddies, and everyone was impressed until one of the guys commented "looks like a Jesus bolt to me, what happens when the red box fails?" I had no answer... couldn't find anything on your website. I guess the same could be said for an alternator.

Same thing that happens when your master contactor...master switch...avionics switch...etc, fails, etc. :) I recollect the VP-200 can be run in a fully-dual mode (with dual alternator, etc. as well)...if you were going to design your non-VP system with that ability.

From their site: http://www.verticalpower.com/FAQ.html

Isn’t the Control Unit a single point of failure?
Think of the Control Unit as box with a few dozen individual circuits. If one fails it doesn’t necessarily mean the others will fail. It is designed to fail “gracefully” in most failure modes.

We’ve taken pains to isolate the processor from the switching circuits so that if the processor fails, the most likely thing that will happen is the devices stay in their currently-commanded state. In other words, anything that is on will stay on and anything that is off will stay off.

The VP-200 Duo was created specifically to provide redundancy and to work with either single or dual bus electrical systems. You can place certain items (like comm/nav 1, PFD) on one Control Unit and other items (comm/nav 2, MFD) on the other Control Unit. Most EFISs and ADAHRS, for example, have dual power inputs allowing you to wire one power input to each Control Unit.

The overall system architecture is designed so that failure of one major component (Display Unit, Control Unit, or Switch Panel) should not affect the other components. The major components are tied together with RS-422 fault-tolerant serial data lines rather than “hard lines.” If the Display Unit fails, for example, the Control Unit will leave everything in its current on/off state and continue to provide circuit protection.

What if the Control Unit faults and turns off the EFIS while I’m in IMC conditions?
Each Control Unit has backup circuits that allow you easily wire power directly from the battery through an external switch to a device, overriding the internal Control Unit switches. These circuits provide battery power to the devices regardless of the state of the Control Unit solid-state switches.

Last edited:
Does the Garmin have a battery back up?

The various G3X components have provisions for multiple redundant power inputs, so if you desire to have a battery backup you can certainly hook one up. You can either roll your own, or there are commercially available ones out there that are designed to plug right in.

mcb

Great, now I just need Warren Buffett to finance my airplane and Chris Sands to build it.

Our installation manual (for the VP-X and all products) shows several methods to provide backup power to critical circuits. So for just a few bucks (like under $50) you can have direct backup power from the battery.

A good analogy, for example, is having a slick mag along side a p-mag. Or having a Dynon D-10 (with its own battery) as a backup for a G3X EFIS. You have two completely different technologies or vendors providing redundancy for critical functions.

And, the VP-X Pro has essentially two independent systems in a single box. Two power supplies, two microprocessors, and each handles about half the circuits. The weakest link is really the contactor and the master switch. The solid-state components in the VP-X are very reliable.

So the guy who thinks his panel full of breakers and switches and relays and tons more crimp connectors is more reliable than a VP-X is incorrect, IMO. Some basic reliability numbers are on our web site on the VP-X page to support that. I've said that many times and I don't want to debate it, just put it out there for you to consider. :)

does the VP-X pro harness come with enough wire to handle the wing runs as well? I noticed on the site it said it had over 600ft of wire in it.....I'm assuming this means it's a total wiring package for the plane

Wiring

It should, but each aircraft is different so we can't guarantee it. The intent of the wiring harness is to provide all the power wires, including trim and flap wires, except for the big gauge cables and contactors.

Appendix B in the VP-X installation manual shows exactly what comes with the wiring harness kit. You can find it here: http://www.verticalpower.com/documents.html

If you need an extra few wires we can make it up for you.

VP-X

I have wired up a VP-X on my own, no harness was purchased, and basiclly took a day to install, With the pre-made harness, I would imagine it could be done in even less time by the slowest of builders. Very nice system, and easy to install. The next panel I am working on is going to be a 3 screen G3X and VP-X system.

Chris

By the way, the G3X software that adds support for the VP-X and VP-200 was released last week (available for free download here).

mcb

Last edited:
Hi Marc,

I know that future revs for the VP-100 are stopped, but it sure would be nice to have one more revision for it that lets it talk to the G3X.

Hi Tom,

The VP-100 does not have any external integration with any EFIS systems - it's meant to operate independently. Sort of the opposite I suppose of the VP-X.

Say hi to Katie.

Back