What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Software v9.31 Now Available (8/31/2023)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Greetings VAF!

We released G3X Touch Version 9.31 to the Software Download Area today.

This release includes the software support required for the GHA 15 Radio AGL unit. More details about this unit can be found in this post.

gha1511-L.png

By common request, we have included the ability to determine and store a second set of AOA calibration values in the system in this update. This new functionality allows the installer to provide the system with the information needed to allow the AOA system to compensate for flap position. A flap position sensor, or flap position discrete input is required for a second calibration curve to be made available. In addition to this change, we now have an alternate AOA audible alerting scheme, more details can be found below.

In our last update we included a powerful new Advanced Gauge Marking Configuration tool. We have made a few improvements to this function, which are outlined below.

Notable changes included in this update:

AOA Alert Mode Option

• This provides the ability to modify the AOA audible alerts, and can be toggled in the Sound configuration menu.
  • When set to Stall Awareness, the system will audibly alert the pilot when the AOA indicator enters the caution range and will beep progressively faster as AOA is increased towards a stall. A constant tone indicates a stall. When set to Approach + Stall Awareness, the pilot is audibly alerted in the same manner, however the alerts begin when at or above the approach target calibration point and increase progressively faster until a constant tone is reached at the point of stall.

Dual AOA Calibration Curves

• If equipped with a Flap position sensor, or Flaps Down Discrete input, the AOA gauge can now reference one of two available calibration curves, one for operations with flaps extended and one for operations with flaps retracted. This requires an in-flight calibration for the second curve, similar to the original AOA calibration, and can be found in the same AOA menu in normal mode.

Improved Traffic Alerting

• To reduce nuisance audible alerts while on approach for landing, below 500AGL, the system will annunciate “Traffic” and state the relative bearing only. Relative altitude and distance are no longer included when below this altitude threshold.

Added support for audible alerting upon ESP engagement

• A spoken audible alert is issued for when EP is activated for airspeed (high or low), pitch angle or bank angle.
Expanded Audible Alerting

Warning level alerts will include a spoken audible alert for the following parameters:
  • RPM
  • Oil Temperature
  • Oil Pressure
  • Fuel Pressure
  • CHT/EGT
  • Voltage
  • Manifold Pressure
  • Torque
  • Fuel Quantity
  • TIT
  • Carburetor Temperature
  • Coolant Temperature
  • Carbon Monoxide
  • ADAHRS Miscompare (configurable off from the Sound configuration menu)
In addition to these, audible alerts for trim/flap position CAS messages are supported if the highest alert level is less than warning.

Modify Logic Signal Airspeed and Altitude constraints
  • Airspeed constraints can now be specified in terms of Indicated Airspeed, True Airspeed or Mach number.
  • Altitude constraints can now be specified in terms of barometric altitude, pressure altitude, density altitude, or Height AGL.

Apply Logic Signal Control to Discrete Input Presets

• The Canopy Closed, Door Closed, Speed Brake, Gear Down, and Flaps Down Discrete input presets can now be modified by or associated with a Logic Signal state. For example, if the Canopy closed discrete input preset is in use, the state of an associated logic signal can take the place of engine power and airborne state in the CAS logic for determining whether a caution or warning level CAS message is issued when that input is inactive.

A new Pilot's Guide (Revision Y) and Installation Manual (Revision AU) have been released to support these changes and will be posted to our website today. These can be downloaded from the G3X Touch Manuals page.

Several updates have been included in a GDU 3XX software update, which will follow the release of this update.

• Added support for GHA 15 radar height advisor
• Added support for second AOA calibration curve for flaps-down configuration
• Added option to play AOA tones when AOA is at or above approach target calibration
• Added voice audio alerts for various EIS parameters
• Added voice audio alerts for ESP pitch and roll protection activity
• Added optional audio alert for ADAHRS miscompare
• Added ability to select engine page as split-screen MFD page on GDU 46x.
• Added support for discrete input to detect flaps-down condition
• Added additional speed and altitude threshold options for EIS logic signals
• Added display of LRU software versions after a software update
• Added optional ability for EIS logic signals to affect warning behavior for canopy, door, and gear position discrete inputs
• Added notification of invalid data card format
• Changed to show AOA indication on PFD when GI 260 test button is pressed
• Changed to show ram air temperature when OAT data is invalid
• Improved PFD wind display when calculated wind speed is small
• Improved EIS and engine page layout
• Improved density of EIS display on GDU 46x when EIS / engine bar layout preference is set to "separate"
• Improved traffic audio alerts
• Improved best airport selection
• Improved flight director altitude capture
• Improved accessibility of normal mode system info page
• Improved system info display of ADS-B and SXM receiver devices
• Improved GMA 245 and GTR 200 data processing
• Improved GTX 23/33 automatic mode transition
• Improved baro transition altitude alert
• Improved data logging
• Improved GAD 27 flap positioning
• General improvements to system operation
• Includes update to G5 software version 8.40
• Includes update to GAD27 software version 2.80
• Includes GAD29 software version 3.40
• Includes GEA24 software version 3.90
• Includes update to GSA28 software version 5.60
• Includes GSU25/B software version 4.40
• Includes GSU25C/D software version 2.90
• Includes G5 boot block software version 2.40
• Includes GAD13 software version 2.10
• Includes GAD13 boot block software version 2.00
• Includes GAD27 boot block software version 2.30
• Includes GAD29 boot block software version 3.10
• Includes GAD29C boot block software version 2.00
• Includes GAD29C software version 2.10
• Includes GEA24B boot block software version 2.00
• Includes GEA24B software version 2.10
• Includes GDL39 software version 4.91
• Includes GDL5x software version 2.21
• Includes GEA24 boot block software version 2.20
• Includes update to GI260 software version 2.90
• Includes GI260 boot block software version 2.20
• Includes GMA245 audio software version 2.20
• Includes GMA245 Bluetooth software version 2.00
• Includes update to GMA245 software version 3.10
• Includes update to GMA245 boot block software version 2.40
• Includes update to GMC507 software version 5.00
• Includes GMC507 boot block software version 2.30
• Includes GMU11 software version 2.20
• Includes GMU11 boot block software version 2.10
• Includes GPS20A software version 2.40
• Includes GPS20A boot block software version 2.10
• Includes GSA28 boot block software version 2.20 or 2.10 (-2X Model)
• Includes GSU25/B boot block software version 2.30
• Includes GSU25C/D boot block software version 2.10
• Includes GSU73 software version 3.80
• Includes GSU73 IGRF database version 1.04 (Base Year 2020)
• Includes GTR20/200 software version 3.50
• Includes GTR20/200 boot block software version 2.40

Please contact us with any questions that come up!

Thanks,

Justin

Attachments

• gha1511-L.png
    gha1511-L.png
    397.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Are those spoken warning level alerts selectable or are they always on, regardless? Hopefully, those voice callouts can be turned off.

When I was at Boeing, i wrote their first draft of voice alerts in the cockpit within the quiet, dark cockpit concept. The gist of it was that voice alerts are appropriate if the fight path of the airplane must be immediately changed, like traffic or terrain. Even so, those callouts were terse so as not to interfere with other communications. System warnings, like temperatures and pressures, do not justify voice callouts -- the existing alert sounds are plenty good.

Honeywell's RAAS is an example of voice callouts that can get in the way. I've not checked the ASRS database on RAAS advisories recently, but the last two times I checked, there were reports of the superfluous callout interfering with ATC communications.

Similarly, traffic alerts with bearing and distance should at the very least be user selectable so that the overly-long vocal interruptions can be suppressed.

Customer desires should not overrule good system design.

Thanks,

Ed

VPX controlling flaps

Added support for second AOA calibration curve for flaps-down configuration

Justin, is this available with VPX controlling the flaps? I don’t think it can be but can you confirm?

Thanks

Justin, is this available with VPX controlling the flaps? I don’t think it can be but can you confirm?

Thanks

Not Justin….but adding a micro switch to tell the Garmin (via a discrete input pin) that the flaps are down is pretty easy to do….

Justin, is this available with VPX controlling the flaps?

If your Vertical Power box provides flap position to your G3X system, then I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work. Why not try it and see?

Thanks

Not Justin….but adding a micro switch to tell the Garmin (via a discrete input pin) that the flaps are down is pretty easy to do….

Alarm logic

If your Vertical Power box provides flap position to your G3X system, then I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work. Why not try it and see?

So far their new alarm logic that incorporates flaps my VPX system does not recognize my flaps in G3X since not in Garmin’s inputs. I’ve asked VPX how to resolve this and so far crickets. Yes I’ve tried.

Last edited:
Sounds easy

At some point Garmin will make VPX a high cost alternative to a now narrowing amount of benefits. Adding micro switches and repining wiring harnesses will get very time consuming, expensive and unreliable. (Assuming one has enough discretes (I'm pretty much out of discrete positions already)) Love to hear from VPX its plan to negate this but so far nothing.

This question goes back to the question if I’m using VPX does one need the GAD 27? Up until 6 months ago the answer was I did not and so did not specify it in my 14 and 10 panels. With the new alarming feature that looks at signal logic anything that VPX controls such as flaps and trim can’t be integrated into this system or at least I’m not aware how to do it. Now we have another input that VPX controls (flaps) that the Garmin system can’t see without at least additional functionality programming by VPX or Garmin. (Whoever handles the VPX integration with the G3X).

There are hundreds if not thousands of VPX users out there with similar problems. What have you done to resolve this?

By the way I asked VPX at OSH how to resolve this and the “tech” working the kiosk did not know what I was talking about.

Last edited:
A possible correction to the Garmin post, looks like th newest guide is rev Y.

Edit: I am curious what happens to the existing calibration. Is it retained and if so, is it retained with flaps down or flaps up.

Last edited:
I am curious what happens to the existing calibration. Is it retained and if so, is it retained with flaps down or flaps up.

The installation manual makes it pretty clear that the second calibration curve is optional. Any AOA calibration you currently have will be used for both flaps-up and flaps-down conditions, unless you choose to revise your calibration.

GDU 4XX v9.31

Thanks

Yes, the G3X Touch will use flap position as provided by the Vertical Power unit, to determine which calibration curve to reference.

A possible correction to the Garmin post, looks like th newest guide is rev Y.

Edit: I am curious what happens to the existing calibration. Is it retained and if so, is it retained with flaps down or flaps up.

Nothing will change relating to AOA calibration upon updating your system, an existing AOA calibration will be retained and flap position will have no effect on AOA indications. You will however have the option to perform a second calibration, if properly equipped. Once complete, flap position determines which calibration curve is referenced at any given point in the flight.

Thanks,

Justin

scenario

Yes, the G3X Touch will use flap position as provided by the Vertical Power unit, to determine which calibration curve to reference.

Nothing will change relating to AOA calibration upon updating your system, an existing AOA calibration will be retained and flap position will have no effect on AOA indications. You will however have the option to perform a second calibration, if properly equipped. Once complete, flap position determines which calibration curve is referenced at any given point in the flight.

Thanks,

Justin

This is better than what i have now, but lets think this thru.
I calibrate one settings for flaps up, and I calibrate another setting for flaps down full. My flaps position goes thru the GEA24 and displays on my G3X.
If i am at partial flaps, which AoA curve is used?

This is better than what i have now, but lets think this thru.
I calibrate one settings for flaps up, and I calibrate another setting for flaps down full. My flaps position goes thru the GEA24 and displays on my G3X.
If i am at partial flaps, which AoA curve is used?

If a flap position sensor is used, the system will reference the Flaps Down calibration curve anytime flaps are extended beyond the position corresponding to halfway between full flap extension and full flap retraction.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks,

Justin

Thank you Justin, I believe I was not clear with my question and it was a dumb one to begin with. Somehow I thought if I go thru the calibration, maybe my existing one will be retained and be used as one of the setup.

Now, that I had coffee, I do understand that when I go thru the calibration, all will be new and will need to be setup for both flap up and down.

Thanks and related question

That will help us Vertical Power users with AOA set-up flaps up and at least 50% flaps down calibration. Is there a way to use our flap and trim inputs from the Vertical Power system in the Advanced Guage Configuration set up? Without this Vertical Power users cannot use this feature since we can't set a logic signal to a flap or trim input or at least I have not found a way.

Vertical Power EIS Data

That will help us Vertical Power users with AOA set-up flaps up and at least 50% flaps down calibration. Is there a way to use our flap and trim inputs from the Vertical Power system in the Advanced Guage Configuration set up? Without this Vertical Power users cannot use this feature since we can't set a logic signal to a flap or trim input or at least I have not found a way.

We are glad to know our users are excited about the recent updates. We built this feature around the native G3X Touch EIS interface, which is of course a bit different from the serial VP-X EIS data stream, but I will raise the concept of incorporating VP-X derived data into the logic signal function with the team for consideration/feasibility, to see if we can work it into a future software update.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
We are glad to know our users are excited about the recent updates. We built this feature around the native G3X Touch EIS interface, which is of course a bit different from the serial VP-X EIS data stream, but I will raise the concept of incorporating VP-X derived data into the logic signal function with the team for consideration/feasibility, to see if we can work it into a future software update.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks, the Advanced Guage System Garmin designed is truly cutting edge.

Great stuff. I’m curious to see what other advisories I can build.

Request: Link the Alert to a specific checklist QRH with a hot button.
So when an alert is triggered for low fuel pressure a hot button (perhaps similar to the switch tanks button) presents itself and leads you to a QRH page (that owner previously customized).

It all just keeps getting better, Thanks Garmin.

Tj

Last edited:
Warning level alerts will include a spoken audible alert for the following parameters:
  • RPM
  • Oil Temperature
  • Oil Pressure
  • Fuel Pressure
  • CHT/EGT
  • Voltage
  • Manifold Pressure
  • Torque
  • Fuel Quantity
  • TIT
  • Carburetor Temperature
  • Coolant Temperature
  • Carbon Monoxide
  • ADAHRS Miscompare (configurable off from the Sound configuration menu)
Question for Garmin or anyone else - how are those EIS "spoken audible alerts" configured? I've installed 9.31 and have searched the new Installation Guide and Pilot's Guide, went through the GDU Audio configuration menu, and I don't see any reference to them. Am I missing something?

TIA

Dave

Request: Link the Alert to a specific checklist QRH with a hot button.
So when an alert is triggered for low fuel pressure a hot button (perhaps similar to the switch tanks button) presents itself and leads you to a QRH page (that owner previously customized).
+1. This is a great idea! :)

ds

Question for Garmin or anyone else - how are those EIS "spoken audible alerts" configured? I've installed 9.31 and have searched the new Installation Guide and Pilot's Guide, went through the GDU Audio configuration menu, and I don't see any reference to them. Am I missing something?

The same way you did before... if you configure a gauge range as "Red Range + Alert", you will see a warning-level (red) CAS message and (unless you are on the ground with the engine off) hear an audible alert, just as before. The only difference is that now it might say "oil pressure" instead of "ding".

The same way you did before... if you configure a gauge range as "Red Range + Alert", you will see a warning-level (red) CAS message and (unless you are on the ground with the engine off) hear an audible alert, just as before. The only difference is that now it might say "oil pressure" instead of "ding".
Awesome! I was wondering if that might be the case...

Thank you Matt!!

Dave

PFD EIS engine page layout

After setting the PFD EIS engine page layout to separate (V9.31) how can I change the newly displayed data block to another reading?

Also, how do I change a PFD EIS readout to text only?

After setting the PFD EIS engine page layout to separate (V9.31) how can I change the newly displayed data block to another reading?

Also, how do I change a PFD EIS readout to text only?

I think you are asking how to hide and show engine gauges - this is done via the Engine & Airframe configuration page in config mode. The option to display a gauge as text-only is in the same place.

For more information, refer to "EIS Display" in section 30.4.32.3 of the current G3X installation manual (revision AU).

Inset maps

I see in the G3x main menu where one can select what is in the inset windows. But I only see “Map” acailable. How do I change this to a vfr sectional chart or an IFR chart?

I see in the G3x main menu where one can select what is in the inset windows. But I only see “Map” acailable. How do I change this to a vfr sectional chart or an IFR chart?

If you are asking about the small inset windows that appear in the lower corners of the full-screen PFD on a GDU 46x display, the method for changing these is documented on pages 21-22 of the current G3X Touch pilot's guide (revision Y).

If you are asking about the split-screen MFD/MFD presentation of a GDU 46x installed in a system with two or more displays, this can be changed on the Display Setup page, or by touching the page navigation bar at the bottom of the MFD and selecting "MFD Split Page".

I think you are asking how to hide and show engine gauges - this is done via the Engine & Airframe configuration page in config mode. The option to display a gauge as text-only is in the same place.

For more information, refer to "EIS Display" in section 30.4.32.3 of the current G3X installation manual (revision AU).

Awesome, thanks Matt

Thanks but

If you are asking about the small inset windows that appear in the lower corners of the full-screen PFD on a GDU 46x display, the method for changing these is documented on pages 21-22 of the current G3X Touch pilot's guide (revision Y).

If you are asking about the split-screen MFD/MFD presentation of a GDU 46x installed in a system with two or more displays, this can be changed on the Display Setup page, or by touching the page navigation bar at the bottom of the MFD and selecting "MFD Split Page".

Thanks but only “map” is an option, not vfr or ifr chart. Is there a way to have this inset window be a chart and not a “map”

AoA configuration

I tried to set up the dual curve AoA and now I’m getting constant Caution/Warning during takeoff with half or 25% flaps set. I assume the Flaps-Up curve is being used since the flaps are “halfway or less” extended. I would like to use the “Flaps Down” curve for 50-100% flaps. Trying to figure out how to manage the curves to be useful but not give nuisance warnings on takeoff.

Is there any way to force the system to use a point other than exactly halfway between zero and full flaps to determine which curve is being used? Or would configuring my “half-flaps” to be actually 51-53% extended be enough to trick the system into using the full-flap AoA curve? I fly off a grass strip and use half flaps for takeoff. Lots of beeping during takeoff now.

I tried to set up the dual curve AoA and now I’m getting constant Caution/Warning during takeoff with half or 25% flaps set. I assume the Flaps-Up curve is being used since the flaps are “halfway or less” extended. I would like to use the “Flaps Down” curve for 50-100% flaps. Trying to figure out how to manage the curves to be useful but not give nuisance warnings on takeoff.

Is there any way to force the system to use a point other than exactly halfway between zero and full flaps to determine which curve is being used? Or would configuring my “half-flaps” to be actually 51-53% extended be enough to trick the system into using the full-flap AoA curve? I fly off a grass strip and use half flaps for takeoff. Lots of beeping during takeoff now.

I would change the value for the "Show AOA Above" setting, which exists to help eliminate nuisance alerts during takeoff.

Matt, I’ll revisit my settings but I’m not sure how the “Show Above” setting would fix what I’m seeing. I would appreciate your (and others) comments on this scenario.

Been flying since 2019 with the original AoA configuration.
Dual AoA curves reconfigured using zero and full flaps after the recent SW update.
After takeoff, I’m climbing at Vx (70kts) with half flaps and I’m getting yellow chevrons and aural alerts. (Distracting)
In all other phases of flight the AoA is working as expected.

Based on the install manual paragraph 30.4.9 the system is using the flaps-up AoA curve during my half-flap takeoff/initial climb. I’m proposing that an RV-14 at half flaps performs more like one at full flaps versus one at zero flaps. Not exactly, but more. Vans may disagree.

I don’t want an infinite number of AoA profiles but I would like to be able to adjust where the shift between curves takes place.

Also interested.

Matt, I’ll revisit my settings but I’m not sure how the “Show Above” setting would fix what I’m seeing. I would appreciate your (and others) comments on this scenario.

Been flying since 2019 with the original AoA configuration.
Dual AoA curves reconfigured using zero and full flaps after the recent SW update.
After takeoff, I’m climbing at Vx (70kts) with half flaps and I’m getting yellow chevrons and aural alerts. (Distracting)
In all other phases of flight the AoA is working as expected.

Based on the install manual paragraph 30.4.9 the system is using the flaps-up AoA curve during my half-flap takeoff/initial climb. I’m proposing that an RV-14 at half flaps performs more like one at full flaps versus one at zero flaps. Not exactly, but more. Vans may disagree.

I don’t want an infinite number of AoA profiles but I would like to be able to adjust where the shift between curves takes place.

Interested in hearing the resolution but I think most of us climb out at higher rates and avoid this issue. I like to climb out at 80 to 90 knots in my 14 to improve cooling. 70 knots was my "on speed" AOA calibrated reference with full flaps so would also get an audible alert. Raising the flaps would only give you added alerts at slightly higher speeds so not much help.

I am a big believer in AOA and most recently turn to final at an unfamiliar and busy airport (Triple Tree) with higher terrain around me (Gives me the impression I'm flying faster than actual) heard the beep-beep and gave a slight push and added a little power just at the right moment. I doubt it would have been a stall spin but nice having the audible que.

You would need to set the above speed to 75 and that would defeat AOA entirely.

I'm now getting the alerts on takeoff with the two position calibration vs. none before. My previous calibration used full flaps.

Answer

Thanks but only “map” is an option, not vfr or ifr chart. Is there a way to have this inset window be a chart and not a “map”

On a unusually raining day here in the desert, I figured out how to do what i want. This has to be a map, not a chart. But I switched it to an IFR chart so i can have vfr chart on mfd and ifr “chart” on inset, showing approach way points and such. Cool.
In split screen mode, whatever map is selected, this will appear in inset window once full screen mode is re selected. Simple.

Last edited:
Back